My grandmother wore house dresses.
The kind you would never step foot outside in, but were oh so comfortable. They were light cotton, short sleeved, breezy, roomy and usually mid calf length. They came in every color and were always in a cheery print- with flowers or something. She would wear these, well in the house of course, and when she had to "go into town" she would spiff up and dress like no grandmother would. (Yes, this is the grandmother I aspire to be and dress like. She is the reason I have red polka dot sandals and leather leopard print heels. I even contemplated on getting my hair dyed darker yesterday. It would be fitting.)
This way of dressing makes sense to me because "mom" duties do not allow for swanky tailored jackets and peep toe pumps. -even though I wish it did. My sister and I were laughing this morning about a conversation she had with her six year old. Click here to read...it's worth it. Her attire for picking up her children from school could be considered a "modern day house dress." And...she isn't alone. This morning I took my kids to school wearing red and black pj bottoms, a teal t-shirt and a deep purple fleece jacket. It was a color nightmare. I silently prayed I wouldn't be pulled over or get in an accident, because what would the paramedics think if they saw me dressed this way?? I would be mortified.
What's even more embarrassing is that I showered this morning...and THEN put on this hideous outfit.
To make a long story short, I think I need some house dresses. Or at least some coordinating not so embarrassing pj's. That way, MY children will not beg me to change my clothes before I take or pick them up from school. (love ya JaNae)
JaNae, I love that post! And yours too, Jill! A mother's purpose on the earth is to embarass their children, right?? :)
ReplyDeletei total want a house dress or coats those gals had the right idea. saylor is sooo cute.
ReplyDeleteI've decided I love dresses. I haven't owned a good one in forever. I recently bought two really cute ones that are so comfy I swear I could live in them. Why do I not have more?!! I think I'd be totally happy in a house dress. Note to self: look into that. :)
ReplyDeleteMy grandma had the same house dress atire you speak of. I have to say though that maybe me being your neighbor is allowing not such good things to rub off on you. Um need I remind you of the polka dot pj's I wore when I did get out of the car and pick up Peyton from class? Or the pj's I put on after I shower and get ready for the day and run out the door last minute to grab sam from school. When I went to pick up Samie from school on Friday she asked me to please make sure I wasnt in my pj's since I would have to check her out of the office! I think I got the point now....no more pj's to school!
ReplyDelete