Friday, April 30, 2010

Snow in April

Two days ago it snowed- right when I getting out of the car to check Carter's blood sugar at school. It's been crazy cold around here, crazy cold and very windy.
This morning it snowed in a slightly different way.
Remember a certain box of packing peanuts that a certain little boy played with on his birthday????

It ended up in our garbage.
This morning, as the garbage truck transferred the box from the front thingy part of the truck (I don't know what that is called...and why would I?) to the back thingy...it snowed. It snowed an entire box worth of white styrofoam packing peanuts. It was beautiful in a nonbiodegradable littering earth killing sort of way. I hung my head in shame as the snow covered my neighbors lawn. Good thing it is still windy and I all the evidence blew away before I had to hand pick each piece off my neighbors property.

And speaking of snow...
I took Colby for his four year old check up yesterday. It is official, he has a snowballs chance in "you know where" to ever make it to six feet tall...or even five feet six for that matter. Colby is in the 5th percentile for height and weight. Thats 5th as in 5% as in .05.

I'm happy because: 1. His height and weight are proportional, meaning he is NOT underweight for his height. 2. He is following his own growth curve...however tiny that growth curve is.
I'm not happy because: 1. I worry about my "practically a little person" son. I don't want him to feel different because he is vertically challenged. 2. If the little rug-rat would just eat a little more, maybe he would grow. 3. I'm already worried about his dating prospects...inevitably marrying a short but darling (Colby will only marry someone darling) girl...and breeding even smaller children that will in turn start this vicious cycle all over again.

The doctor and I also discussed Colby's eating habits, his chances/symptoms for celiac disease, and a future possibility of growth hormone treatment. My brain was full when I left the office. I will be taking Colby back this fall for future blood tests with the underlined chance of having to see a specialist if his anemia hasn't improved and/or if his growth has not stayed on his meager 5% curve.

We also left with a sample bottle of Pedisure- that we are now calling a "muscle drink" to get my tiny son to drink it.
His muscles were looking bigger this morning...I'm sure of it.

2 comments:

  1. I do recall it snowing on Friday morning as well! As I was looking out my front window cursing my husband for not putting out our garbage to be picked up and not blown all over our neighbors yard, I noticed the white nonbiodegradeable white things floating in the air! You should be ashamed of yourself and consider yourself lucky that it was windy so they didnt stick in my finely manicured grass and flower beds...oh wait! oh well thanks for the snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's on the charts!!! Colby's perfect just the way he is, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete