Thursday, November 1, 2012

Venice...where I left my conciseness

Friday morning we were up at a good time ready to visit Venice.
We loaded a VERY crowded bus that would take 10-15 minutes to arrive there.  I geared myself up for an uncomfy ride.  It was standing only and I was touching more people at once than I ever have in my life.  I took deep breaths and told myself to get over my fear of crowds and that I could do anything uncomfortable for 15 minutes.
Unfortunately...my subconscious did not believe what my brain was telling it and shut down.
I had enough warning that I was going to pass out and gave a few seconds warning to Steve.

...when I woke up I was laying on the pavement, in Venice, at the bus stop.  
I had one Italian man taking my pulse and calling my name, (not quite how you ever hope for a sexy Italian accent to call your name!  ha ha), a cute Italian lady rubbing my other hand, and two young Italian women holding my legs straight in the air.  May I add I was wearing a skirt that day???  Thank goodness for my choice of black opaque leggings.  Whew!  
My husband and these darling people had dragged my unconscious body off the bus and laid me on the pavement.  We were surrounded by a small crowd including a few police officers checking out the situation.
I have some pretty hysterical memories of trying to pull my skirt back over my exposed legs while still half out of it.  
The nice lady who was rubbing my hand directed us and our friends the Thomas's to a bar of all places that had benches where I could lie down.  It took me at least 30 minutes to be able to hold my head up without becoming nauseated.   Poor Steve, I'm sure I scared him to death...well, scratch that...this is not the first time I have passed out with him around.
I think he is getting used to it.

Fortunately, I did not follow suit to my usual routine of passing out that includes seizing, vomiting and the loss of other bodily fluids.  (that's as graphic as I'll get).  
I also think it is fortunate that Italians are extremely nice to foreigners who pass out on buses (one lady told me it happens all the time!), because they sure like to yell at each other.  Before I passed out, I was listening to the same helpful kind people yell at each other.

When I was able to stand up and walk, Steve and I boarded a train this time...no more buses for me...and headed back to our hotel.  Steve bought my fries at the McDonalds in the train station because I needed something on my stomach and fries actually sounded good.  Sick, I know.
I ate the ENTIRE large order and then took a nap for almost two hours.
Finally, I was ready to go back to Venice.
Again, we took the train.

The Grand Canal

Venice, when you are conscious, is a beautiful amazing place.
I loved it.
It's amazing to me how everything works on waterways. 
I took a ton of pictures for my boys because they were so excited about the waterways and how they worked.  Here are just a few of the pictures we took as we made our way toward San Marco square.

Grand Canal from the other side of the bridge.

As we snaked our way through the city, it felt if we were going in circles.  However, whenever you made a turn there was another sign with an an arrow pointing you to the Rialto Bridge and San Marco Square.  Steve and I relied on these signs not to lead us into a gruesome death in some back ally and enjoyed the view of the crazy waterways and narrow streets.
(I passed out...I can be dramatic if I want to)



View from the famous Rialto Bridge.

All along the way there were shops filled with masks, Murrono glass and toys. 
We took this picture for Carter.  He really wanted us to bring him back Italian Legos.  He was disheartened to find out, Italy has American Legos.  So tragic.

I was temped to bring back this jem for my Mom for Christmas.
She "loves" animals almost as much as me.
Love ya Mom!


After over 90 minutes of walking (we took our sweet time) we made it to San Marco square.
It was even more impressive than I remember.
We didn't go inside any of the buildings, just enjoyed being there...and not touching anyone.
Here is a famous self portrait as always.

The buildings were spectacular...and the crowd size was even more so.
We had been on very empty streets until we reached the Rialto Bridge, and then it was wall to wall people.  It made the crowds in Florence look sparce.
I think most people traveled by canal instead of walking.  Unfortunately, the water taxi's are called "buses"...wouldn't get on them if my life depended on it that afternoon.  The thought of crowds mixed with motion sickness was more than I could handle.


This is the Bridge of Sighs.
The bridge connected the old prison and interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace to the new prison across the river.  The theory is that prisoners got their last look of Venice before heading to their cells while crossing this bridge...hence the sigh.  There are a few other theories, but I liked this one the best.
Glad Steve wasn't sighing or sad as he saw this bridge.








Steve and I marveled at the different marble on this building.  It was fantastic!









After we had our fill of people, we headed back to the train station the way we came, only stopping for pictures like this.

We came upon these men and thought of our own little violinist and guitarist.
However endearing they were, I hope my boys don't have to play in the street for cash.

As we returned to the Grand Canal, the sun was going down.
It was beautiful.

Steve thought this boat was more beautiful.

Venice, other than the passing out episode, was wonderful.


I did take a few pictures of possibly odd things.
Every once in a while, there would be a sign on a building side that said WC standing for water closet.
Being pregnant and all, I followed these signs religiously.
It cost 1.5 euro and was well worth the money. 
There was a school group there and I couldn't help but think about my boys and their field trips.
These kids were cute.


On our walk back from San Marco, we came upon this courtyard playground.  It was filled families and children playing.  Steve and I stood back and watched the group of young girls on the right side of the picture play with their bassinets and baby dolls.  There was one girl in particular that was "queen bee" and who bossed all the other girls around.  Even in another language I could tell she was telling each of the other girls what to do, who to play with and who to exclude.  I guess girls and their desire to rule the world is indeed a universal concept.  It cracked me up.



2 comments:

  1. I need to go there! What an awesome trip! AND you look AMAZING in your AMAZING jacket! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, what a story! I had forgotten about the promise of a fainting story coming up so this was a surprise. Glad you still got to see the city. The pictures are beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete