Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Exciting day yesterday.

Yesterday I got a call from the school that Colby had broken his arm on the playground.
It's crazy how one can go into "Mom" mode and be perfectly calm, yet have veins full of adrenaline at the same time.   I called my mom, she graciously earned her Super Grandma patch YET again and came to get my youngest two kids.  We switched cars and I rushed to the school…to find Colby with a broken arm much worse than I  had expected.  This is his third break on the same arm and they have gotten progressively worse looking with each break.  Yikes.
With the help of the Mrs. Beams our school secretary, we drove Colby to the hospital where he was whisked into a trauma room and hooked to IV pain killers in a matter of minutes.  I could cry over how wonderful we were treated during the entire ER visit. I'm so grateful for fantastic doctors and nurses who are compassionate, efficient and kind.

The arm.
The picture is pretty gruesome as little kid broken arms go…at least for our family.   My brother stated it looked like Colby grew a third elbow.  
Colby was rightfully upset and in a lot of pain when we got him to the ER.  He later said he didn't cry because it hurt, but because he was scared about how it looked.  He was afraid he would have to have surgery.

After he was all drugged up, they came in and took xrays.
As you can see in the picture, I insisted they cut off his shirt instead of trying to take it off over his arm. I cringe thinking about how traumatic it would have been.  Shirts are cheap. 

He wasn't in pain right here, but drugged and traumatized.
I had called Steve on my way to the school and let him know Colby was hurt.  He luckily had a break in his patients and showed up at the ER soon after Colby and I did.

Yep.  Broken.

Waiting patiently to have the arm put back in place.

Getting prepped.
Thank goodness they used conscious sedation for this!

All done!  

We were out of the ER in less than 2 1/2 hours which I thought was pretty amazing.

Colby is sporting a sweet splint that he will keep until next Tuesday when they will graciously put on his hopefully waterproof cast.  This summer might not be totally spoiled!  
Colby had been working on earning an IPod for a while, and the first thing Steve said when he saw his arm was "That boy deserves that IPod."  Steve's a softy. 
Colby is under instructions to take it easy until his real cast is put on.  That's a tough sell.  It's been a little over 24 hours and he's already totally bored.  

I thought I'd look up pictures from the first two broken arm.
This was number 1 at age five.  The bones were just bowed.  Happened when Andrew knocked (threw) him off the couch.

Number 2.  Fell off an exercise ball at Grandma's house not long after the first cast came off.  Both bones were snapped.

Number 3 break was the most traumatic looking.  
I REALLy hope I never see number 4.







No comments:

Post a Comment