Tuesday, June 15, 2010

insulin and hot water do not mix

When Carter was diagnosed, we were warned not to let him take a hot shower or bath right after receiving a dose on insulin.  The hot temperatures dilates blood vessels and speeds the absorption of insulin causing low blood sugars.

We experienced this fact first hand at the hot pool.

The first day I was scared.  We went through a 20 carb juice, two jolly ranchers and my nieces fruit snacks before Carter's blood sugar numbers were in a safe range.
(I won't go into the high he had an hour later...it makes my head spin to think about it.)


Here he is not feeling so hot...waiting for his blood sugar to go up.
Having a low does not feel so good.

The second day, we got smart. 
We removed his insulin pump entirely, gave 20 carbs to begin with and then let him swim his little heart out.

Thirty or so minutes later...we tested our plan.
Pricked a wrinkly little finger...

slurped up some blood...

waited patiently...

and SUCCESS!

147!

Take that diabetes!

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a good time! I love your photos - I need a better camera (can you really NEED a camera? About as much as I NEED a new wardrobe or I NEED a new house) - maybe then I'd blog more, with a new camera and a new wardrobe and a new house (yeah, right). It was great to see you last weekend for a minute - thanks for letting us interrupt. Our home teachers dropped by unannounced this week, and I was wishing someone would knock on my door and save me from their surprise visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love when diabetes throws you a curve, and then you're like "whatever dude!" and kick it in the butt. Moments like that make me super happy.

    ReplyDelete