Monday, September 20, 2010

my seven hours as a domestic goddess

The cold weather brings it out in me.
I want to cook when it's cold.

So this morning as the weather was cool, I got the hair brained idea to make what Steve refers to as 
"a real dinner".

11:00 am:  browned the roast and got it cooking on low in the crock pot.
11: 30 am:  put the brownies in the oven (from scratch of course)
12:00 pm:  dug potatoes and carrots out of the weed patch in my back yard.  (I have special weeds)
12:30 pm:  passed out on the couch for a quick nap.  I was going to need my energy.
2:30 pm:  started the rolls  (also from scratch- duh)
4:00 pm:  put scrubbed and peeled carrots and potatoes in the crock pot with the roast.
6:00 pm:  pulled hot rolls out of the oven and served them with (the best I have ever made) roast, potatoes and carrots.
6:30 pm:  Started dinner dishes and whipped up homemade strawberry ice cream for Steve to freeze on the back porch to be served with the cocoa brownies.

...all of this was simultaneously done while leaving the house multiple times, taking care of small children and helping with homework.

When Steve got home, the smile on his face was so big you would think I had answered the door wearing only saran wrap...and just a few layers, not like when we saran wrapped cars in high school.

So tonight...
I'm exhausted...and never want to see a roast, carrot peeling, brownie batter bowl or any other dirty dish again.
I would have never made it in the olden days.
I would have been left by the side of the wagon wheel tracks on account of laziness.

We're ordering pizza tomorrow.





4 comments:

  1. I want your Dad to read this post. He thinks it is no big deal to fix a big dinner. And after our big Sunday dinners, you kids couldn't figure out why I needed a nap?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guessin' that Steve didn't even come close to seeing you in Saran Wrap after a day like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saran Wrap huh?! That just reminded me to call before I EVER come over again!! Who knows what outfits you may be experimenting with! ha ha lol!! It smelt super yummy and honestly I was jealous of the fantastic meal! You're a great mom and wife!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill,
    I needed that. HILARIOUS! Seriously- vivid as always- so glad I am not into beef (poor dad)- the saran wrap tossed me over the edge and I've got tears. It is 12:40 in the am- why am I up reading all these blogs? Thanks for the laugh and tears!

    ReplyDelete