Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Winter has arrived

Finally finally winter came to Twin. 
 I would have taken pictures of all the white splendor, but by the time I thought of taking a picture, it had rained, melted the snow, and made a giant slushy mess on my lawn, driveway and garage floor.  
This is typical for Twin.  

But the snow was fun for the five hours it lasted.  I mostly enjoyed trying out my all-wheel drive vehicle.  We traded in the van this summer for tougher less "mommy" vehicle under the rationalization that we would most likely get snowed in.  It happened once last year and we were sure it would happen again.   We were feeling pretty sheepish until it snowed today. 
I drove around and smiled every time my anti-lock breaks kicked in along with my traction control.  But don't worry Dad, because I still drove like an 80 year old woman just like you taught me...so those things only had to kick in once...or twice.  And I heard your voice in my head just like I was 16 and driving to seminary, "Be careful out there, the roads are treacherous."  I also avoided parking lots like the plague because, "They are the most dangerous place to drive."  (love ya dad!)

Ironic that is is winter, because Carter and Andrew started swim team this week.  Love the covered pool.  Andrew is a fish, as always,  and lights up at the thought of swimming.  Carter, however, is struggling and still has much to master.  I have to give the little man props because he never gives up and swims the laps his coaches ask him to without complaint.  He about drowns, but never complains.   His coach was nice enough tonight to offer additional lessons with Carter at no cost to get him where he should be.  I'm taking them without question.   Carter is taking the frosties I've promised him after lessons without question.  I'm not above swimming bribery.

Colby had his cast put on today.  He chose bright red.  I didn't object figuring we didn't have family pictures coming up like with the last cast.   I asked the PA putting on the cast to also splint his legs so maybe he would stop breaking bones.  He chuckled, but Colby can still walk- bummer.   I worry about this kid.  He thinks he is indestructible and is truly fearless.  I think he is tiny and malnourished.  I worry that in addition to his slight, underfed stature, this boy actually has weak bones.  He has three broken bones in his short (no pun intended) life.  (One more thing for a mother to obsess and feel guilty about...just add it to the stack)  I'm probably wrong, but just in case I have been feeding him ice cream and fast food hamburgers to add extra calories to his church mouse diet.  I find myself slipping him cheese sticks and multi vitamins when ever I get a chance too.  I'm praying this kid gets an appetite.  I will relish the day when he is a teenager and I can't fill him up.  Honest.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, a new vehicle! What kind did you get? Perfect timing now that we have this slushy mess outside. How cool that Andrew is such a fish and that Carter is dedicated even though he doesn't love it as much. And never complains? Man, I could take lessons from Carter!

    ReplyDelete