Things were good this weekend, dreamy even.
My plate is overflowing with good friends, family and memories worth keeping.
It's late tonight and I only have so much brain power left before I fall asleep typing, so I'm going to get in as much as I can. But no matter how much I can't include on this post because of memory lapse and let's be honest- unconsciousness, I want to remember overall that this weekend was wonderful. I felt satisfaction in my life and family. If it was for only a moment, it was memorable in it's simplicity.
It wasn't fancy, we didn't go anywhere spectacular, there weren't parades in our honor...it was just good; good to be home, good to be with family, good to just be.
Steve took the boys to fathers-and-sons (more on that later) so I had the privilege of spending Friday night with my girlfriends and their daughters.
We spent the evening looking at wedding albums and baby pictures. We laughed at our youngness, our skinniness and our innocence of what we envisioned our lives to be way back when we were newlyweds. We also delved into scrapbooks of high school and college boyfriends and how our lives would have been different if we had made different choices. We expressed gratitude for the choices we made and the significant blessings that ensued.
I giggled until it hurt.
It was a night I found refreshing and needed.
Oh...how I love my friends and am grateful for their support and honesty. I feel blessed to know these women and am grateful that Steve and I were guided to live where we did so I could have these women in my life.
I'm also grateful for their daughters and the friendships Saylor will have with them.
Saylor found out what it would be like to have six older sisters: she would always have someone to dress her up and make her pretty.
...if you can call blue sparkly eye shadow cream pretty.
Say was in princess heaven even if she doesn't show it.
While I was eating and gabbing Friday night, Steve was taking his beloved trailer and tent on it's maiden camping voyage.
Fathers-and-Son's was at Bear Gulch and the boys had a wonderful, slightly cold time.
It might have been the perfect camping trip if I hadn't forgotten to pack the hot dogs with the rest of the food. Oops! I'm sorry Steve! Good thing you had smores stuff and cheddar Ruffles.
It's also good my dad drove up to meet the boys Saturday morning for his famous camping "Tough Guy Test." Each of my boys and a few of their friends had to solemnly swear to be tough, brave, and not complain as they were initiated into the sacred society of Tough Guys.
To join they had to eat a sardine without murmuring.
I think the lack of protein the night before helped in the task. They were hungry.
Each of my sons passed the test...even Colby. How the kid can gag down a sardine but not eat plain chicken is beyond me!
Love this face as he chews!
Is that a fish head poking out?
Not sure what to think.
(Um...this picture is killing me. Andrew looks so old to me. My heart aches for the little boy I used to have but rejoices in the young man he is growing into. I enjoy this boy.)
Saturday night instead of working in the yard and being productive, we threw responsibility to the wind and took the kids to Nat Soo Pah and purchased a season pass. The kids were in green water-diving board-water slide heaven. I'm just thrilled to be in a pool that is actually warm. (the city pool does not cut it for me.) We are planning on many summer evenings being spent together as a family at this swimming pool.
And the bonus? The kids were exhausted and eager to go to bed when we got home.
Today, our morning was slow and Steve took the kids to church at noon. I stayed behind and baked brownies for tonight's Seminary graduation and then attended a ward conference for my calling at 2pm.
The stake YM president gave a talk to the youth that I thought was fabulous. He taught about our choices and their corresponding consequences and referenced D&C 130: 20-21. He spoke about how our choices don't just effect our personal lives, but have a lasting effect on our posterity too. It was the caliber of talk that makes me want to do better, be better and teach my children better.
When I got home, Steve had dinner waiting for me.
He made a gluten free version of fried chicken and waffles.
It was baked chicken breaded with Ruffles and gluten free pancakes.
It was surprisingly really good. Steve has wanted fried chicken and waffles ever since we saw the combination on the food network. I'm impressed with his adaptation.
He should cook more...but then we would never eat vegetables. Maybe just on Sundays.
After I cleaned up the dinner dishes and got ready to attend Seminary graduation, as the Stake YW were in charge of refreshments; this was the scene I found as I walked out the door.
These two are perfect napping partners. Saylor being at church during her nap time makes it hard for everyone.
And speaking of church being hard...
Steve naughtily snapped this picture of Colby last week after sacrament meeting. He snoozed almost the entire hour leaning on Steve's arm. He even slept through the primary kids singing to their mothers on Mother's Day. He was pooped!
And he has the bedhead to prove it!
Dawson totally slept through Mother's Day sacrament meeting too! My kids never ever sleep through church, but he picks that one day to sleep through. Oh well, he probably would've stood up on the stand picking his nose during the song like his elder brother did. Awesome.
ReplyDelete