Monday, December 24, 2012

Merry Christmas! (eve)

Our Christmas countdowns are telling us we have only one day until Christmas.
Are we ready?  I think so.
Last night we spent the evening at my parents house with my brother Jared and sister JaNae and their families for a Christmas Eve Eve dinner.  (My dad told the kids it was Christmas Adam night...because Adam came before Eve.)   In all the craziness...I forgot my camera.  I could strangle myself I was so mad.  My mom in all her sewing glory made Christmas pj's for all the grandkids.  It was a sea of red and green last night.  Oh how I love and appreciate my mother and her sweet skills!
My mother fixed the most wonderful meal and walking into her home was reminiscent of my Grandmother Walker's house.  It smelled so good.
We had leg of lamb (Colby said he didn't want to eat that baby lamb...too funny), grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, salad, corn, rolls and fruit.  For dessert there was mint brownies and pumpkin pie.
After dinner the kids played and the adults sat around the table and talked.
I was sad when 8:30 rolled around and it was time to come home.
I love being with my family.
We were missing Jolyn and Jon and their families.  Jolyn won't be coming (sniff sniff), but Jon and Caprice will arrive the day after Christmas.  Hurray!

After coming home, Steve and I spent a priceless evening talking with our 12 year old about standards and making correct decisions after the other three kiddos were asleep.  I'm grateful beyond words that we have the relationship with Andrew that we do.  We talk and listen to each other, and it's in these quiet moments I can see in his eyes his desire to do what is right.  He is such a good kid and oh how I love him so.  I fully realize the next five or so years are going to be tough...and that is why Steve and I are tough on him.  We want him to be prepared for greatness.  

This morning came way too soon and the dusting of snow and cold wind outside make me want to go back to bed...but here is the list of things we are doing/have done today to finish up and get ready for Christmas to come.

1. Steve woke me up WAY too early to help get the kids dressed and ready.  They have dental cleaning appointments this morning.  Steve said the amount of plaque on their teeth with be indirectly proportional to the amount of presents they receive.  (he's a mean dentist)
They were getting donuts first. (a really really mean dentist)

2.  I'm going to do all the laundry.  Exciting I know.  Too bad none of us can go naked to avoid more work for me.

3.  Try and stop eating so much blasted sugar.  (I have an OB appointment on Thursday and I'm sure he's going to tell me that I'm not making gingerbread cookies, but a baby, so lay off the junk.)

4.  Pack the kids bags. The don't know it but we are spending Christmas eve night at Steve's moms house...Steve's Christmas dreams have come true.   I think the kids are going to freak out with happiness.

5.  Finish wrapping presents.  I've been the biggest procrastinator lately.  I'm sure it has nothing to do with that beached whale feeling I have most of the time.

6.  No really...I need to lay off the candy.

7.  Post family pictures on blog.  The Christmas cards are out and delivered...so I can post these now.
My friend Kerianne took pity on us and got our pictures taken right after Thanksgiving.  She's pretty wonderful.  These are the first family pictures I have allowed myself to be pregnant in.  I was about 21 weeks along when these were taken. 
Even with the chipmunk cheeks, I know I will treasure them forever.  These are the last shots we will have as a family of six.
(I just had chest tightening thinking about dressing five kids for pictures.  Sigh.)







 Andrew 12 - 7th grade


Carter 9 - 3rd grade

Colby 6 - 1st grade

Saylor 3


 I hope everyone we know and love has a very Merry Christmas!





1 comment:

  1. Your pictures turned out great!! Hope you all had a Merry Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete