Sunday, March 2, 2014

I wish I wrote in this journal more

It's Sunday night and I'm exhausted.  It's only 8pm and I'm thinking of crawling into bed and worrying about the disaster zone in the morning.  But waking up to the mess that is my home might be worse.  I've gone nonstop today despite it being a day of rest.  I blinked and the day was over.  But this is my life for right now.  I have never felt busier or pulled in so many directions.  I sometimes wonder how long I can feel stretched so thin and still be sane.  I guess I find out!  (ha ha)  

One thing I wish I had more time for was for this…writing in my journal.  I know I will regret not putting thoughts and events down so I keep trying, even if I only write once or twice a week.  It's better than nothing.  

And on that note, here is a haphazard wrap up from this last week.  

I registered my oldest child for high school this week.
(Let me write that again so it can soak in.)
I registered my oldest child for HIGH SCHOOL this week.
This picture was taken as he walked with Saylor back to the car after meeting with his advisor for the next four years.   
I'm not sure how to express how I feel about this milestone in my/his life.
It's nuts, crazy, wonderful, exciting, daunting, and scary as he__ all at the same time.
Ok…maybe I could express how I feel about it.
Swear words or not, the next four years are going to fly by and this oldest son of mine will be moving into the next chapter of life and leaving his childhood behind.  (How about I go cry in the fetal position for a few hours.)  
He's wonderful and Steve and I are really proud of him.  It's been a blast watching him grow and mature.  (It's not been a blast listening to how loud he is lately.)  Teenagers are really fun/loud/obnoxious/fantastic.   Short and Sweet:  I love him.

Thursday morning Steve cleaned my teeth.  I chickened out on getting bleaching trays because I DETEST getting impressions, but hopefully I'll get a backbone and do it.   (I would really like whiter teeth.)
While I was in the dental chair, Steve's dad held Grady who promptly fell asleep.  How lucky can one little baby be?  Nap with Grandpa sounds pretty cushy!

We ran a few errands after my teeth were smooth and polished and then spent the rest of the afternoon at home.  Grady fresh from his nap found joy in playing in the fridge.  I'm not sure why I buy toys.  Nasty fridge bottles are way more entertaining.

Friday was business as usual.  I had friends over for lunch and chatting, kid went to swim team after school, Steve worked long hours, I ate candy….
Friday evening though was a different story.  Carter came upstairs with two very red eyes.  Andrew and him had had words and Andrew had slammed Carter's head into his own knees.  Not sure how that happened…but it did.  They also couldn't even talk to each other without growling.  It had all started over Carter complaining how Andrew's cologne smelled bad (I'll agree with Carter on that one!) and ended with Andrew telling Carter he was going to make his life miserable forever. 
As punishment I decided that Carter and Andrew needed to spend more time together.  I ordered a changing of the guard if you will.  Andrew and Colby switched bedrooms and now Carter and Andrew share the big bedroom with Colby in his own room.
Colby is thrilled.
Andrew was livid at first and I thought he would throttle Carter…but in true boy fashion, ten minutes later Carter and Andrew were planning their new room together like they had planned it all along. 
Silly boys.
Late into Friday night we switched the boys stuff.  It was good to go through Colby's belongings and junk drawers with him.  That boy can collect garbage like you would not believe.


Saturday morning instead of doing chores, I took Andrew and Carter to buy new shoes.  They were both in need.
I knew Carter's shoes were on their last leg…but didn't realize how bad it really was.
Poor boy was wearing orphan shoes.

He wore his new sneakers out of the store.
I might burn the other pair.
I appreciate Carter and his patience in me finding the time to take him shoe shopping.  He had needed these bad boys for a while and he hardly complained about his dire situation.  (now if only this patience spilled over into his brotherly relationships!)

After shoe shopping we hit a few other stores just for fun and I took a few pictures of some funny things on the way.
Not quite a deal worth getting excited for.  

Hunting shirts are funny.

On our way home from errands, we took a few used books to Chick Fil A for some free sandwiches.  They are having a "bring in a used book, get a free sandwich deal" and tomorrow is the last day.  We will be going again.

Saturday night we started and finished Carter's Idaho History Indian dwelling project.  
He wanted to make a longhouse and the newly trimmed fruit tree clippings came in really handy…as did a few Lego guys with tan pants,  goldfish crackers, and a whole mess of hot glue.
Seriously, hot glue is my new best friend.

Closer shot of the masterpiece.
Nice work Carter!
(Thanks Andrew for some really good ideas!)

Today I probably broke the Sabbath because we worked on Carter's science fair project all afternoon.
It ended with us taking advantage of Steve's parent's second story balcony.
I'm happy to report that the project has been completed and the results are in.  We just need to analyze the data and do the poster board.   (Oh…and do Colby's project too.  I'm having a love/hate relationship with the science fair today.)

While we were at the Dixon's, Grady tried to take his first steps and by some miracle, I got a picture of it at the exact moment it happened.  He took one step and then fell promptly on his face.
We then spent the next 15 minutes trying to get him to do it again, which he wouldn't.  He would take a half step and then fall in our arms laughing his head off.  Pretty cute stuff.

Last but not least.
I will not admit how many bags of these babies we have eaten in the last four days.  (Hint…it's more than three but less than five!)



No comments:

Post a Comment