Sunday, July 26, 2015

Growth hormone test…again

We are seeing a new endocrinologist lately and I'm really happy with our choice to switch.  Carter's A1C has dropped and we have better control over all.  After a few tests, Dr. Flynn decided Carter needed to get yet another growth hormone stimulating test.  His last test was not accurate and was done incorrectly, hence why we ended up in the ER.  I have very bitter feelings about this botched test, but I'm trying to let them go.
Last Tuesday was Carter's test in Boise.  The 5 hour test was administered in the Children's Specialty Center right off the main hospital downtown Boise.  My heart dropped a little when I realized where we were.  Carter's appointment was in the Pediatric oncology clinic.  Around us were children of all ages receiving chemo.  I felt the place I was standing was sacred and deserved more respect than I knew how to give.  I felt humbled to be there and grateful my child was just getting a test done, not receiving poison to keep him alive.
It's not a feeling I will forget soon or take for granted.

The clinic had a sweet set up and was stocked with movies and video games galore.
Carter of course chose Star Wars episodes for both movies he had time to watch.

Carter had an IV put into his right arm where blood draws were taken every thirty minutes and drugs were administered.

The second drug doubles as a sleeping aid for children.
It worked wonders for Carter.
ZZZzzzzzzzz….
He slept the last two hours of his test, all the way home from Boise, and then two more hours when we got home.  Then he went to bed at his regular time and slept all night long.
(How can I get me some of this drug for long plane rides??)

Carter had to be fasting for his test so we monitored his blood sugar closely adjusting his basal rate as needed and around 1 pm when he was done with the test he happily ate some pudding and other snacks.
Our drive home was blissfully uneventful…no vomiting and no ER visits.  
We will get Carter's test results in about two weeks.

******


One of the joys of being in charge of the family book is getting texts of pictures of family outings.
My dad sent me a bunch of pictures of his granddaughter hike in the Fern Forest.
The above was my favorite.


Now this one makes me smile every time I see it.
I have been telling my dad for years that he looks like the actor Walter Matthau.
This picture is proof.  
I don't think Dad believed me until I texted every member of my family the above picture and then the below one.

Yeah…the resemblance is so there.
I'm told all the time by my mom that I look just like my dad.
I'm not sure I want to look like Walter when I'm in my 60's…but maybe I could instead look like one of Walter's fellow actors in Grumpier Old Men - Sophia Loren.  Ha Ha.  Yeah right.


Other funny notes from this last week…

Colby lost his tooth…after he refused to go to swim team until it was pulled out.
Steve was lovely enough to walk out of his office and perform some drive-through dentistry.



I ordered too small of a size of swim jammers for Colby and Carter. 
They look painted on.
The boys LOVE them.


My mom caught this picture of one of my best Cinderella moment.
-Gots to earn my keep around here!

Grady feels that living at Grandma's is really tough.


No comments:

Post a Comment