Much like jumping into a cold mountain lake, today took my breath away. I knew I had to go through with it. I couldn't sleep last night dreading it. I knew it would be hard, emotional, busy and overwhelming- but it turned out even more intense than I thought. Just like that dip in a cold mountain lake.
Today was the first day of school.
Andrew started middle school today. I didn't cry until I reached the driveway at home after dropping him off. We carpooled with his best friend Barrett in hopes it would make the first day a bit easier. It's easier to jump into a lake if someone does it with you.
Andrew did great and came home happy and chatty. His favorite teacher is Mr. Losser (not pronounced Loser) and he was only late for one class- Andrew blamed his sticky locker padlock and the length of the walk to science class. He didn't appreciate the swearing in the hallways or the lack of organization in the lunchroom.
(Extra prayers for this guy from me tonight. I need that Armor of God to include soundproof earmuffs)
Colby started kindergarten. He didn't want me to walk him to class and informed me he already knew ALL the rules. Making diabetes runs with his mother for two years has helped Colby learn the ropes. He is too old and too cool for me.
He took a two hour nap on the couch this afternoon.
This is my superstar second grader. His teacher is Mrs. Adams and she is learning the diabetes schedule.
Mrs. Adams had me talk about Carters diabetes to the class at the beginning of the day. I could tell Carter was embarrassed. His years of not feeling different are over and the years of feeling self conscious are beginning. My heart aches for these upcoming years and what they might bring.
Including dropping off and picking up, I was at the school five times today. Carter, you are worth it, but your cuteness and my love for you doesn't make the lake any warmer to jump into. My mom offered to take one of the shifts for the next few weeks. The lake just warmed up five degrees.
Carter's blood sugar was pretty good today and he only had one low- 68. Not so bad.
The three lake jumping school starting musketeers.
Sleepy Saylor. The three musketeers are noisy at 7 am.
I feel your pain baby girl.
Two hours later with her hair done and feeling more chipper.
Self portrait.
I need eye makeup and botox...and maybe for the chipmunk to come and remove the acorns he stored in my cheeks.
And speaking of acorns, this boy has a nutty mother who bought him this foot long hot dog for lunch today and allowed him to eat most of it. This was pre-two hour nap.
(we're coping here people)
(we're coping here people)
Cutest back to school pictures!! By the way, I am laughing so hard I am crying.
ReplyDelete