I'm going on day two of being gluten free, and I could really go for a bagel or something. But, I would take a twix bar if that's I all could get my hands on.
The last two days have been interesting. I've realized how much I took eating anything I wanted for granted. Having real restrictions is not all its cracked up to be. I've also realized how my family is hooked on gluten...it has its delicious hooks in deep.
I am doing fine on this diet, but my kids are not loving it. I feel that meals are not the issue, its the snacks that my children are having withdrawal symptoms from. No more goldfish, ritz, graham crackers, wheat thins, or cheese nips. Andrew took one look in the pantry this afternoon and whined that there was NOTHING to eat. "You got rid of everything Mom!" I guess a cheese stick or fruit leather were not what he was craving. Carter thinks he is dying most of the time and Colby started a ritual fast around 4pm tonight.
I'm having the hardest time with not having bread for my kids lunches. The initial plan was to have bread in the house just for the kids to take to lunch. But now that I see the crumb trail a single piece of bread leaves and every crumb is a crumb I have to meticulously clean up. I think it would just be easier to get rid of it all together. I've spent the last two days cleaning out my kitchen, washing every dish, spatula and bowl, along with cleaning out the pantry. It feels so good to know that my kitchen is clean and free of something that can make me sick. Even if my kids are becoming anorexic.
So back to the lunches. I wracked my brain thinking of alternatives to the regular PB sandwich my kids take everyday to lunch and all I have come up with are what my friend and I jokingly call "gas station lunches." They consist of beef jerky, cheese sticks, cut up fruit and gogurts. My kids are going to be the laughing stalks of the lunch room...all because their mother is a freak. However, who's going to be laughing when the boys take bags full of muddy buddies to lunch- huh? HUH?
So what does a celiac eat may you ask. Let me tell you what I ate today...
breakfast: cottage cheese
lunch: turkey, ham, cheese and sprouts on a corn tortilla
dinner: homemade chicken and rice soup with cut up fruit on the side
snacks: (quantity of will not be mentioned) bbq ruffles, peaches, hot tamales and gluten free oreos my sister sent me in the mail (she is saintly)
To sum up...two days down.
"just keep swimming, just keep swimming"
13 years ago
Oh man! What a great diet though! I haven't talked to you lately....well at all....never know a good time to call, but I'm assuming its cause you have to and not a choice....so booo to that! Hope all is good! Wish I was next door to help your kids get their gluten fix!
ReplyDeleteJill, I am so sorry! I know all too well about having to eliminate foods from a diet. I was just looking around online for egg-free things and someone listed these links for gluten-free things. Maybe you've already seen them?
ReplyDeletehttp://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
http://glutenfreegirl.com/
Good luck! Hopefully the way you feel far outweighs the food you are missing.
Jill...you're amazing.
ReplyDelete