Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Lesson learned, don't wrestle with Andrew

My kids scream a lot, especially Colby.  I ignore it most of the time, but when Colby let out a scream from the basement last night, I knew he was really hurt.
When he came up the stairs crying holding his arm at a funny angle, I knew it was broken.  That and the sucker was bowed.  Arms are not supposed to look like that.  A quick wave of nausea on my part and a quicker evaluation of Colby's inability to roll his hand over and we were off the the ER.

 I snagged a few images of the offending bones in the X ray room.   Like that tech could have stopped me!
Colby broke both bones in his lower arm...well actually just bent one of them and broke the other.
Ouch!

Here's another view for those of you medical nuts out there.

How did he do this?  Weeeeelllll, the story came out in full after we had been at the ER for a while.
Here goes to the best of my ability:
-Andrew was laying on the couch.
Colby placed a couch cushion on top of Andrew.
Colby then climbed on top of the couch cushion.
Andrew proceeded to buck the couch cushion and Colby off.
The couch cushion came out unscathed, Colby did not.

Colby is now sporting a little soft cast for the rest of the week and will get a hard cast on Friday.
I will get the bill and the pleasure of wiping his bum and buttoning up his pants.
Awesome!

 All joking aside, Colby was a trooper.  
He slept during most of his ER visit and complained minimally.  The nurse and doctor even commented how they didn't think it was broken at first because Colby didn't fuss when they touched his arm.  They told him how tough he was and how he acted braver than most big kids.
I thought he did awesome.  He even put the crazy lady in the waiting room who thought she had a broken ankle to shame.  She was crying and fussing and yelling at everyone in the room about how bad the service was.   Colby just sat there quietly with his funny bent arm.

I love you Colby!  I hope you are feeling better soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Colby,

    We loved seeing the pictures of your cool bones. Walker has been calling you Ninja all day because you are so brave! Can't wait to see you on Friday!

    P.S. Stay away from Andrew. You are starting quite the history together.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Colby, you are so brave!! Not that I wish either of us had to visit the ER, but it really is too bad we couldn't have visited at the same time. For next time, tell Colby to get broken bones during the day. Tends to be less people in the ER - no wait! Or maybe there shouldn't be a next time! :)

    ReplyDelete