Saturday, October 8, 2011

I'm not pretty when I'm sick

My favorite line from the movie The Devil Wears Prada is "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight."  I laugh like a hyena every time I hear it.  
 Until now.

I experienced the wrath of the stomach flu Thursday night, and honestly...I would rather have the extra weight. 

There are pretty sick people out there, and there are not pretty sick people.  Pretty as in how they handle being sick.

I am not a pretty sick person.
At one time while lying on the floor in the bathroom I begged my husband to end my life.
Not pretty.

This was the worst flu I have ever had.  It would by un-lady like of me to expound too much, but I didn't know the human body could react so violently and survive.
My husband will attest to this.  In fact, I now know how much he loves me.  No one could live with a person after seeing them as sick as I was without true love and devotion.  If he was less of a man, he would have packed up and left me alone in my fluids on the bathroom floor.  

Fast forward four hours after what I'm calling, "The night my life almost ended" to when I was finally sleeping...and Carter starts throwing up.  Thirty minutes after that, Andrew starts.  My saintly spouse was up every thirty minutes from 1:00am to 5:30 am with sick kids.
He cleaned vomit off of floors, beds, carpets and children...all while letting me sleep. (I was oblivious anyway)  He then went and worked a full day on Friday.  
He deserves the Man of the Year award for sure.
I spent Friday in bed and tried not to pass out every time I got up to help the kids.
The kids set up camp at the foot of my bed and watched (not exaggerating here) 11 hours of cartoons on netflix.  It was an awesome day.

It is now Saturday afternoon the the kids are playing outside.  They feel great.  I am not 100%.  My back and stomach muscles are sore from throwing up and my hips hurt from laying the floor.  (I'm a wimp I know)
But I am closer to my goal weight.  (ha ha...not funny)


Diabetes note:

Stomach flu and diabetes do not mix.  Controlling blood sugars with the flu can be incredibly scary and dangerous.  We were pleasantly surprised how well Carter did for the 24 hours he was sick.  We did not give him any insulin for what he ate (Gatorade, 7up and crackers) and turned his basal down when his numbers would get close to 100.  We took his pump off last night around 11 because even juice would not bring him up.   He was 280 three hours later.  Today it has been diabetes business as usual.  I'm grateful that this virus did not affect him too much blood sugar wise.  I consider it a blessing that we have an insulin pump and the ability to control how much insulin he gets at any given moment.   

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I had that beast a couple weeks ago and felt like I was on my death bed as well...not fun, especially as a mom! Steve and Spencer are Saints!

    ReplyDelete