To say I have Post Christmas Blues would be wrong.
I'm not unhappy at all.
I'm just overwhelmingly lazy.
December has been a whirlwind and there were honestly days that I didn't sit down from 5:45 am clear until 10 at night when I could collapse into my bed. Between school parties, family and friend parties, shopping, cleaning and cooking; Christmas has been tiring. But it has also been wonderful.
However, yesterday I gave up being productive. I stayed in my pjs all day and didn't accomplish one worthwhile thing...except for reading a book- an entire book.
This device is going to be the death of productivity for me.
Steve bought it for me without realizing why I gave up reading years ago. I don't have the ability to stop mid-book, and the entire world around me can collapse but I don't care until I've finished the story.
I read the book Cold Sassy Tree in its entirety yesterday.
That's a lot of hours sitting on my couch while my children run amuck. "Luckily" Carter ran a fever and had a mild case of the trots, so my kids had full permission to watch movies all day. (He's still sick this morning so our plans will most likely be the same today. I'm grateful for small stomach bugs.)
Cold Sassy Tree is a book about small town life in Georgia in 1906. The family grandmother passes away and her widower remarries three weeks later. It's written from the perspective of the 14 year old grandson...and I've learned that 14 year old boys can have dirty minds. I read this book the first time when I was in highschool. I think most of it went over my head back then, thank goodness.
Anyway, the point of writing all this...is that I'm being lazy and I have no desire to change my behavior. I know that next week will come, school will be back in, music lessons will start up , scouts will be scheduled, the science fair is coming and my life will be insane once again.
I'm going to enjoy sitting in my house, looking at Christmas decorations that need to be taken down, eating leftovers...again, and ignoring the general mess that is my home and children at the moment.
Blah.
I don't want to accomplish much.
But for the record, here is what our Christmas table looked like before Steve's family came over for dinner. It was the first time I have had Christmas dinner in my own home. I loved it. I think I will make it a tradition to stay home every Christmas and have people over instead.
(I don't decorate or get fancy for the life of me, so this set-up was a big stretch. )
Couldn't find a tablecloth to fit my square table without spending $40 or more, so we didn't have one.
Please note the snowflakes made by my 11 year old.
The boys wanted candles at the kids table. I obliged...however silly they might look.
And no, I didn't make the darling "Merry Christmas" banner over my stairs. I don't sew. My amazing sister JaNae did. I swear she's bewitched her sewing machine she is that good.
I wish I loved to read!! Jas got me a tablet for christmas and I can download books on it but a lad I HATE READING!! Your house looked great for Christmas you always do a great job at everything you do!!!
ReplyDeleteJaNae is a freaking genius on the sewing machine. She sews circles around the rest of us and luckily you get to benefit from her handiwork. The tables looked beautiful. And as far as I'm concerned everyone deserves a few lazy days after the December rush. So take it easy, kick up those feet, and enjoy Carter's blessing of an illness. :)
ReplyDelete