Saturday:
It's still raining and has been for the past three days. We are thrilled for the moisture, but disappointed at the snow we could have had and the backyard sledding we could have enjoyed. Our neighborhood is a sloppy mess and the poor neighbors behind us have a lake slowly rising in front of their home. The forecast is calling for more rain, which I could handle if it wasn't for the wind. Yucky wind.
Here is a lovely brown ugly shot of the field behind our home showcasing the rain produced lake. I'm glad it's not in my driveway. My kids would be playing in it if it was.
I'm grateful today for my stalwart husband. He helped cleaned the church this morning, saw an emergency patient this afternoon, and is at the moment at a church meeting. I admire his work ethic and desire to do what he feels is expected of him. He is a good example for our children and for me. I...stayed in bed and ate way too many GF peanut butter brownies. I'm not winning any obedience awards today.
This is what my beautiful daughter would choose to do all day if I let her. She would sit in a babydoll stroller way too small for her, without pants, sipping chocolate milk while watching Dora. I feel so classy when I see this picture. But while she was doing this, I cleaned my kitchen and mopped. It was a decent trade off.
I have a new goal for this year. It's pretty lofty and if I want it accomplished I'm going to have to budget my cash pretty tight. I want a years supply of everything in my home by the end of 2012. That is a year supply of shampoo, laundry soap, trash bags, razors, clothing...the works. And you better believe that includes toilet paper. My name is Jill Dixon and I desire to be a hoarder, but an organized hoarder. There is something comforting about 12 months of TP sitting in my basement. Along with household items, I also want my years worth of food. I've been working on this for a while, but I'm not there yet. Unfortunately, I can't purchase food from the church canning kitchen any longer, due to wheat contamination. But I'll figure something out. I never thought I would love cupboards filled with extra downy and bleach more than new furniture. (but I would love new furniture and a fence if I could swing it.)
Sunday:
Last night Steve and I stayed up until 11 watching old episodes of the X-files. I didn't realize they started almost 20 years ago. Am I really that old? Um...yes. I laughed hysterically at the hair and early 90's man suits the main female character had. Did we really dress that hideous twenty years ago? Um...yes, and my high school pictures will prove it.
Stake conference was this weekend and I loved being home from church at 12:00. Steve had to help with parking so he took Andrew and Colby early to save us a seat. We sat on the benches. It was a first for the Dixon family. We are more back row way in the gym kind of people. By the last half hour of the meeting I was ready to claw my eyeballs out. My attention span maxes out at 90 minutes. The poor little old man that gave the prayer about sent me to crazy-land. I have never heard a prayer given slower in my life. It was heartfelt and sincere, but I was ready to jump up half way through and run screaming out of the chapel. (I know I'm going to hell for writing this let alone thinking it during stake conference, but one day my kids are going to read this when they have children of their own and they will understand...and they will laugh.)
These pictures were taken last week, but still show how trashy we are so they are being included. Andrew was home from school due to a sick digestive system, so he and Saylor made a fort while the other boys were at school. It was under my dining room table.
Here was the sign he made.
"Society of Awesomeness" including Saylor and Andrew, with Colby and Carter signing up later.
Let me tell you, it was awesome.
This afternoon, Steve cut the boys hair. To help with the mess, he vacuumed them off.
Effective, yet trashy. That is how we roll around here. Please also note the trash bag protecting the red cast that actually color coordinates with the firetruck undies. I couldn't be prouder.
Lastly, the icing on the cake if you will is...
the fat little mouse crawling between our screen and our window.
(please ignore the hard water stains that show how I haven't washed my windows in a long...long time.)
This mouse chewed a hole in the screen and made himself comfortable in Carter and Colby's window well.
As the boys screeched and hollered over this little rodent, Saylor was heard in the background chanting,
"Kill Him! Kill Him!"
Thank you boys for teaching your feminine innocent little sister such lovely words.
Oh yeah, there is another mouse dead on the back porch.
It's time to bring out the rat poison again. I don't want to pay for anymore screens.
At this very point in time we have about 5 sticky traps in our garage for mice. Gross. And I am trying not to be offended that you equate building a fort under a table trashy!! :-) Isn't that what all children do? We used C-clamps and encyclopedias to attach blankets unto our tables when I was little.
ReplyDeleteThat is so gross- I just threw up a little in my
ReplyDeleteMouth- Ty and I stayed up late watching old episodes of big bang theory- good to know we aren't the only time wasters on the block- :)
Saylor looks so grown up all of a sudden. What a beautiful girl! And okay, I am so excited you want to be a hoarder like me. Maybe not like me, but still hooray! Who knew there could ever be anything so exciting about having a stash?! If you want any help let me know...you know my love for couponing is a little out of control. :) Anyway, I totally get the 90 minute attention span. Sometimes I am thankful Lucy is naughty sometimes because it gives me an excuse to stand up and move to a different part of the room or something.
ReplyDeleteI agree about the 90 min attention span - most of the time I feel no better at that than most 3 year olds. :)
ReplyDeleteMy 2 yr old nephew will say "A-men!" loudly in the middle of the prayer if he feels that it has just gone on too long. I kind of wanted to do the same thing during the closing prayer at conference. Haha.