My mom used to make clam chowder when I was little and she made us eat it. I hated it, and still do. She told us kids that we would come home as adults and beg her to make clam chowder.
She was wrong.
Today, I made Pad Thai and it was delicious. I even caramelized the onions and garlic together oh so carefully so I wouldn't burn them while stir frying the rest of the vegetables. You have to be careful with garlic, it is really nasty if you burn it. The chicken was perfectly cooked and the stir fry vegetables were hot and slightly tender, just like I like them. I forgot the scrambled egg, but it wasn't missed.
My kids thought they were being tortured. There were four sad little faces looking back at me as I shoveled in my delicious dinner.
"This is gross" said my tiny daughter as she pushed her bowl away. (wonder where she heard that one?)
"It's kind of a sophisticated taste for little kids, Jill" answered Steve.
"You all have to try it" I replied.
"Kids" Steve tried to help, "Mom loves this kind of stuff, I love your mother, and I...(pause pause pause) like this stuff...so just try it."
I don't think he really helped.
"Guys" I answered back, "At least I'm not making you gag down clam chowder like my mom made me when I was a kid."
"Uh, Jill" stated Steve, "This would have borderlined on clam chowder for me as a kid."
He REALLY didn't help.
Steve waived the white flag and anyone who tried a bite of everything in their bowl got to have toast and sausage.
I scooped up their untouched dinners and declared leftovers all for me. Kids don't know what they are missing. I'm sure this is exactly how my mother felt about her own clam chowder. (ewww)
The "Happy with Toast" crew.
Andrew was indeed sleeping, eating and doing homework at the same time. What can I say, he is gifted.
The Knight in Shining Armor...and the princess.
Yes, we keep our gluten toaster in a box to keep contamination to a minimum. Don't knock it if you haven't tried to keep crumbs out of your gluten free breakfast. And you better believe we have two butter plates in this house. One for gluten and one gluten-free.
Toast beards are in...didn't you know?
While cleaning up two dinners tonight, I declared that I my children need to try something new and different every so often so they won't die on their missions. Steve then told all the kids about the tongue or goose neck soup he had to endure in Mexico. Yummy? Did it taste like clam chowder?
The boys all discussed where they were going on their missions. I told Carter he could only go as far as Utah. I would miss him too much if he went any further. I hope Colby goes somewhere where they serve white rice...I wouldn't want him to starve. Andrew joked that he would go to Boise. I would be fine with that, really.
The night ended with us spontaneously singing the national anthem. I have no idea why, but I'm guessing it had something to do with toast and sausage being more patriotic than Pad Thai. Surprisingly, my two oldest boys know ALL the words to the Star Spangled Banner. They can't hit the notes per say, but the words were spot on. I'm choosing to be proud, and possibly pay for voice lessons.
Mmmmm send their leftovers here!!!
ReplyDeleteIt was Split Pea Soup in my house growing up. One night when my mom came to stay with me to help when the twins were born she said, "How about Split Pea Soup for dinner." I explained that I never liked it and she replied, "Oh, I bet you don't remember. I'll make it and you'll see." Yeah, I still hated it.
ReplyDeleteBut I LOVE Pad Thai.
That looks delicious. Hey, more for you! And that picture of Saylor standing on the stool cracks me up. I can just picture her, "This is gross." LOL! Your posts crack me up - and your food looks DELICIOUS! Share the recipe, if you have time!
ReplyDelete