Sunday, March 4, 2012

Bread and Butter



I made bread this morning.
No big deal right?
WRONG!
This. Is. A. Big. Deal.
This bread is gluten free...and delicious...and is not grainy or dry.  Miracle.  It's soft, chewy and actually has a bread texture.  It has bite to it.  Most GF breads I have tasted disintegrate in your mouth...what's the fun in that?
 I pulled is out of the oven right before I left for church.  I had to wait three long hours before I could taste it.  I broke my fast with two huge slices slathered in butter.  Ahhh...life is good.

I found the bread mix in Boise at a gluten free store.  They have a bakery and I usually purchase their fresh baked peasant bread and hoard it in my freezer.  It is only used for the sacrament and for when I just really need a slice of buttery toast.  When I went to the bakery yesterday, they were all out of their fresh bread.  The the sales lady smiled and said, "You know you can buy the mix right?" 
 WHAT?  
NO...I DIDN'T KNOW!
I purchased a five pound bag of bread mix for...yes...$22. 
It was worth the money.

And, Jolyn...we can buy this stuff online for less than $22 and they have an all purpose flour too!

While I've been inside stuffing myself with bread and butter, my kids have been playing outside.  It is close to 60 degrees today and there is no wind.  It's beautiful.  My kids are wearing shorts and Colby asked if we could get out the pool.  They also "cooled off" with freezer-burned Creamies left over from last summer.
 It's obviously been winter for a long time.
I think I can officially say, we are ready for spring!

2 comments:

  1. SO happy you can have bread again....and that it's actually good! And a mix? Heaven on earth for gluten free people I'll bet!

    We are ready for spring too. Went and flew a kite and for a walk in the South Hills and played in the park. It was heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish our kids were there to play and eat freeze dried pops!!

    ReplyDelete