Sunday, October 27, 2013

The weekend we could have renamed our family Yoder.


We had family pics...again...Friday night.
I thought my family would murder me and I'm wondering if my friend Kerianne might want to too.
The thing is, Steve and I came up with a pretty great idea for our costumes this year and we decided to get the kids involved too.  Family themed Halloweens are fun like that. (ok...maybe I'm the only one who thinks they are fun, but I appreciate my family going along with it.)

We went Amish.
I found a website that sold authentic gently used Amish clothing.  I sent in our measurements and a slightly musty smelling box arrived at my door about a week later.
I was pleasantly surprised with the contents. (after a few washes of course)
Steve grew his beard out for a few months, we bought an extra hat and...the rest is history.
My kids thought they were being tortured, but we got them all dressed up and had pictures taken.  If I'm going to go to this much work to make everyone look like they came from a community in Pennsylvania- I am going to document it!
I'm not going to post pictures of the finished product because I have other plans for them.  Let me just say that they are pretty sweet pictures.  My friend Kerrianne never disappoints.
The above picture is from Steve and I right before we left for a costume party Saturday night.  I think we look pretty convincing if I do say so myself.  (Steve's beard took the cake. This man is a trooper!)
 There is only one problem.  My children REFUSE to wear their costumes on Halloween.  REFUSE.
So much for trying to be a fun mom.

After pictures on Friday night, we rushed Andrew to the Canyon Ridge football game where his band played with the high school band before the game and at half time.
Him waving obnoxiously was for my benefit.  Thanks Andrew!

This is the back of his band shirt.   He and his friends have begged thier band teacher to have this on the shirt for the past three years.  He caved this year.
Live on Dobby...live on.


Saturday afternoon Steve and I drove around and dreamt of buying land.  It must have been the Amish clothing rubbing off on us.  For about 30 minutes we felt like being mini-farmers.  (and by mini I mean 1 acre's worth)
The feeling passed when I came home and looked at my own yard and all the work that still needs to be done before winter.  Blah.

Last night I looked over in bed and saw this Amish dude sitting next to me.  AHHH.  That beard is hilarious...and as of this morning is gone.  Whew.

This morning my kids further demonstrated their hatred for Amish clothing by getting out the viking costumes from two years ago and vowing to re-wear.

Whatever guys, as long as I don't have to buy anything else.

2 comments:

  1. One day your kids will realize how cool you are. Seriously love those costumes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make the most beautiful Amish woman ever! And sorry Steve, but you make the most hideous Amish man ever. :-) Can't wait to see your "finished product"!

    ReplyDelete