I am not drowning.
I repeat, I AM NOT DROWNING.
...but I am treading water.
In the past few weeks I have commented to Steve many times how the state of our home is the new normal and we both might as well get used to it. He never complained in the first place, but I guess I needed to justify to him (and myself) why he is currently living in a chaotic sty.
Good times.
It's occurring to me (gigantic slap in the face) that I am desperately trying to balance the two mothering worlds of teenager and infant simultaneously with everyone else in between trying not to get lost in the shuffle. My hats off to the many many mothers out there who have lived through this feat. It's a whole other ball of wax let me tell you. It's joy/insanity/chaos/bliss rolled up into one ginormous family mess.
(Yes...and I fully know its only going to get harder and more fun.)
It's also occurred to me that this sparkling stage of my life will pass by in a blink. This realization makes my heart hurt. I'm finding complete fulfilment being a wife and mother at this stage and I don't want it to go by too fast Despite the fatigue and craziness, I'm really happy and I'm trying to appreciate every minute of my life. (But don't make me repeat that last sentence after I've finished flushing a toilet I did not use for the millionth time or cleaned up smeared toothpaste in the bathroom yet again. Or...after I've finished losing my cool because an unnamed child is beating on a sibling or riding down the stairs in a sleeping bag. I won't feel so loving and happy after that.)
To document life and it's simple insanity, here are more phone pics of life on the fly around these parts.
Andrew had an excellence assembly at school last Friday and parents were invited.
The band played the national anthem. Andrew is on the top row fourth from the right.
He's sitting with all his trumpet buddies. I'm grateful he has good friends that share his standards and who encourage him to do his best all the while having a good time.
It was weird being back at Stuart gym 23 years or so later.
(in a blink...)
Sunday was my dad's 65th birthday. Happy Birthday Dad!
We celebrated with JaNae's and Jared's family Saturday night.
Having Dad going through chemo puts an additional appreciation of his birthdays on the table.
I love this man and want him around for MANY MANY more birthdays. Do you hear that Dad??????
I've recently discovered Instagram and have enjoyed my first few weeks of social media. It's made me reflect and confirm my decision not to be on facebook. I'm a stalker and I spend entirely too much precious time reading up on not necessarily very important things.
Fun? Yes.
Entertaining? Yes.
Important...not so much.
However, my excuse is that I'm keeping track of my 13 year old son and his Instagram account. (I'll just keep repeating this to myself as I comment and Like away.)
I have a love/hate relationship with this 7 year old's violin practice. I love hearing him play and encouraging him to work on something that is indeed not easy. I love knowing that his brain is being challenged and he is attaining a skill...all the while not watching tv.
But...I hate hate hate the fight that ensues every single day over how long or what songs he has to practice. Colby, when I get my first gray hair, I am positive it will be from you and your violin.
(Yes, I think it is hilarious that he is playing an instrument as formal as a violin...while wearing a t-shirt with a bear speaking the word "rad")
Whitney, this picture is for you.
Thank you so much again for Saylor's home sewn bear. She loves it and I love you for being so wonderful to make it for her. Whit, you are a gem!
...post violin lecture nap.
Having your mom punish you with more practice when you wouldn't practice in the first place is exhausting.
If only this blog included smells.
I hope the post cross country stench comes out of my leather seats.
The kids' favorite thing to do when I drive into the garage is to wait by the door until I honk the horn.
I have no idea why, but I'll take any "love" I can get.
Non-pictorial treading tidbits...
1. Steve brought Andrew's piano books in from his car this morning. It's Tuesday and Andrew's last lessons were Thursday. Hmm...let me think. I can now infer that my son when he said he had practiced every day this week was LYING!!!! (I've been dreaming up appropriate punishments all morning. Oh. This. Is. Going. To. Be. Fun.)
2. Steve last night upgraded our Netflix account so we can have four different devices going at once. FOUR.
I'm mortified, but secretly happy that I can watch Say Yes to the Dress in my room while Saylor is watching Strawberry Shortcake on the Kindel, while the boys are watching Merlin in the basement, while Steve is watching Top Gear in the office.
I think we might need a Netflix intervention.
3. Steve compared me to a dental assistant again this morning when I started emptying the garbage in our bathroom. It's a long story with much background information that I'm too lazy to explain or type about right now. Needless to say...it's going to be cold cold cold in our room tonight. Plus, if I was a dental assistant I would be offended.
Blast that man and his sparkling eyes and dark facial hair. Blast him.
Side note: I didn't finish emptying the garbage...Steve did.
1. Steve brought Andrew's piano books in from his car this morning. It's Tuesday and Andrew's last lessons were Thursday. Hmm...let me think. I can now infer that my son when he said he had practiced every day this week was LYING!!!! (I've been dreaming up appropriate punishments all morning. Oh. This. Is. Going. To. Be. Fun.)
2. Steve last night upgraded our Netflix account so we can have four different devices going at once. FOUR.
I'm mortified, but secretly happy that I can watch Say Yes to the Dress in my room while Saylor is watching Strawberry Shortcake on the Kindel, while the boys are watching Merlin in the basement, while Steve is watching Top Gear in the office.
I think we might need a Netflix intervention.
3. Steve compared me to a dental assistant again this morning when I started emptying the garbage in our bathroom. It's a long story with much background information that I'm too lazy to explain or type about right now. Needless to say...it's going to be cold cold cold in our room tonight. Plus, if I was a dental assistant I would be offended.
Blast that man and his sparkling eyes and dark facial hair. Blast him.
Side note: I didn't finish emptying the garbage...Steve did.
I wanted to cry seeing the picture of you guys at Gary's birthday dinner. We miss all of you! And if I ever (BIG IF) have 5 children, I hope I can keep up with life as well as you do. :-) Have a great weekend.
ReplyDelete