Saturday January 25 slipped by quietly without a lot of fanfare.
I remembered around Thursday that it was coming up an reminded Carter, and he of course wanted a party. Funny boy.
We went about our day on Saturday and it wasn't mentioned. But I thought of it this morning and had to think back and pull up pictures.
It's been seven years….seven.
It's been seven years since we took little Carter to the hospital knowing our lives would never be the same.
Looking at this picture, the feelings I once had of being completely overwhelmed come over me again.
It makes my heart ache a little.
I feared for his quality of life and for his safety.
How would he ever be a "normal" kid?
How would he ever grow up and be independent?
How could I ever let him be more than 10 feel away from me…all while me toting juice, insulin, syringes, and a blood sugar monitor. I imagined myself hovering over him in high school!
But here we are seven years later.
Carter is amazing and strong and healthy and independent.
(Love that you can see his insulin pump tubing on the lower left of this picture)
I am so proud of him and everyday I am more blown away with his gracious attitude towards diabetes.
He's my hero. Truly he is.
Every year he surpasses the goals I secretly make for him diabeticly in my head. "This year I would like for him to be doing this…" is how I think. And every year, he graduates to that stage of independence. It's fantastic.
This year my goal is for him to learn to give emergency insulin injections by himself and possibly change his own infusion sets. Its a big goal, but I know he can do it. Heroes are like that! They rise to the occasion no matter how great the feat.
Happy Seven Years of Being My Hero Carter! I love you!

My heart aches for the Jill and Carter in the picture seven years ago. But today I applaud who you have become. Stronger, full of faith, and independent. To another year and another milestone!
ReplyDelete