Saturday, February 1, 2014

I must be poisoning my children

I'm failing in the 'feeding the kids heathy' category of motherhood.
 Some days I look at what they eat and I'm sure I'm just poisoning my kids.  
They want to eat junk all the time (but so do I so I guess I'm not too upset by it) and when I do actually cook a good meal…they refuse to eat it.

Exhibit 1.
Saylor getting her own snack one morning this week.
She ate the entire bun sitting on my bed.  All that was left were a few sesame seeds.
Hurray for white buns.

Exhibit 2.
Saylor eating a cupcake.
(In my crappy parenting defense, it was a gluten free cupcake and I'm sure those kind are healthier than their gluten filled counterparts.  Sarcasm Sarcasm.)

Exhibit 3.
Colby and his bacon being slurped like a spaghetti noodle.  
I didn't think someone could slurp bacon, but Colby has it down to a science.  It's almost creepy to watch.

Also part of Exhibit 3.
Carter and his bacon.
(No really…his blood sugar is much more stable when he eats bacon in the morning.   I just hope his body can take all the nitrates.)

Last Sunday I made a real meal with real vegetables.
The kids were told they could have dessert if they ate their beans.  Saylor told me when she talked to Heavenly Father when she was three years old, he told her, "Everybody gets dessert!"
Well…if its coming from Heavenly Father…I guess you better have dessert sans beans Saylor.


Later this week I made the most delicious chicken tortilla soup (tortilla chips not shown)
Steve and I were the only ones that would touch it.
Carter ate some of the meat out…but not enough to call it a meal.
They were asking for snacks before I had the dishes loaded.


I told Steve tonight, after none of the kids would touch the orange-ginger vegetable and chicken stir fry, that our kids were lucky beyond their comprehension.  NONE of them had ever gone hungry…other than by choice.
We are blessed.  
My kids are blessed.

And ghee whiz…its not like I'm making them stuff like this!
(Had to take a picture.  Really?  CHACHaroni?  This is killing me!)

I don't know what the answer is to feeding children.  Sometimes I want to throw boxes of cereal at them and tell them to HAVE AT IT.

Other than feeding kids and stressing over it, this week has been pretty easy.
I didn't really leave the house much until this afternoon after Steve got home from working and cleaning the office.  (It's February now…our turn to clean again.)
I spent some time clearance shopping for myself and the kids.
It felt nice to get away and be on my own for a few hours.  It makes me want to be a mom again and helps me appreciate my children and how darling they really are.
For instance...
Grady is walking all over the place with assistance.  If it wasn't for walls and slippery kitchen floors he would be on cloud nine.

Grady is also in the disaster phase of pulling everything out he can get his hands on.
The bin of fruit leathers is pretty benign.  Go for it Grady.

Saylor has rose to a new level of adorableness this last week.  She cracks Steve and I up with almost every sentence that comes out of her mouth.  
For example, two days ago she asked Steve to fix the Kindle.  The password needed to be entered and I honestly don't even know what it is!  She had been asking me all day to type it in.  When Steve got home from work, she asked him for help.  After he typed in the correct code, Saylor exclaimed, "What a clever dad I have!"  
Steve and I were in stitches.
She is too small to have such grown up words coming out of her mouth.  

Steve has also rose to a new level this week…a new level of manipulation.  (still laughing about this one)
Thursday night I went out to dinner with four of my friends.  Around 9 pm I started getting picture texts.

They were pictures of my house…picked up and clean.


Haven't seen this counter cleared off this well in a long long time.

This one was the kicker…Steve cleaned off his nightstand.
Pigs were flying somewhere let me tell you!

Now, there is a point to this story- Steve knows my love language.  Cleaning our house is the quickest way to my heart. 
Needless to say, I left the girl party early to spend time in my clean house with my husband.

Little did I know, Steve just moved a few of the messes outside the picture taking range.
Tricky Tricky.
Next time I will ask for 360 degree video before I come home!  ;)


Oh…and Grady can manipulate too.
At 11pm last night, he was all sorts of lovey and cute.  Never has a baby in this family been allowed to hang out and watch a movie with us so late.  
(Please not the binky in his mouth and the extra one in his hand for added comfort.  Grady is a two binky kind of man.)

No comments:

Post a Comment