Before I get into the contest of all winter contests, I have to mention what Steve made for breakfast today for him and the kids.
He's wonderful and my kids are very lucky.
Carter called it a "Heavenly Breakfast" with a dreamy look in his eye. He is my foodie and appreciates breakfast art when he sees it.
It truly was a breakfast fit for the angels.
I, in turn, must be the devil; because I ate this.
BORING.
Oh well…happy to be without stomach discomfort and I must shamefully admit that I snuck some serious bacon and strawberries.
Many thanks to a husband who let me sleep in this morning!
After breakfast, Steve and I put the kids to work on their Saturday chores with the promise of The Lego Movie after the house and office were clean. (This is where they all are as I type.)
While the kids were busy scrubbing, Steve mentioned how his dad and uncles used to have contests in the winter to see who could do the most laps around the house barefoot in the snow…a Winter Feats of Strength if you will. Steve made the suggestion that our kids should try it. Who could be tough like Grandpa Dixon??
Three of my children were takers on the challenge and shed their socks and rolled up their pjs in excitement.
Here they are ready to go.
And they were off!
This one didn't even make it around the front of the house.
(I really am the Devil because I let her try. I deserve that nasty boring breakfast of only Chex!)
Carter made it to the back of the house before he banged on the back door…when we didn't answer fast enough he was forced to finish the lap and return to the front door.
Oh man was it cold out there!
(Notice that all my pictures are dark and taken from the front entryway. I wasn't brave enough to step out in the cold…even for a good picture!)
Andrew made two laps in the time it took Carter to make one. He declared himself the winner, but I told him it was a tie. Carter was in the snow for the same amount of time!
This picture kills me.
He was in some serious pain! It didn't help that he stepped on the metal edging of the side parking spot on the second half of his lap.
Soon all three contestants were soaking their tootsies in a warm tub.
We've decided Grandpa Dixon is truly tough…and we are telling ourselves that his house footprint must have been smaller than ours! (wink wink)
Our house is deceivingly long and skinny. It take a lot of effort to get around to the back!
(cough cough)
The smartest of my children???
Colby the Brave!
Brave enough to not take silly, painful dares.
Smart enough to put on boots, pants and a coat before stepping out in the cold.
Clever enough to realize shoveling the drive way might get him popcorn at the movie!
After it was all over Steve took the camera outside and captured pictures of the boys' footprints in the snow. Can you guess which child of mine inherited my exact feet????
Nope…not Andrew.
Yes…Carter.
Short, flat and wide.
Take comfort Carter in knowing that feet like this can only make you a better swimmer!
Lastly for today, I'm documenting the fantastic Valentine Colby and Saylor made for me this week.
It is hanging on the mirror in my room.
"Dear Mom, Thank you for all the food, water, cloths (clothes), and cindness (kindness). I now (know) I am mad at you, dut (but) I will be good from now on . I hope you will be nice for the rest of the year. Saylor thinks the same thing I do. Your very loveing kids, Colby and Saylor."
Not sure if I should kiss them or smack 'em.
You guys are awesome parents!!! And that Valentine cracks me up...definitely a keeper to show them when they are older!!!
ReplyDelete