We have a little apple tree in our back yard that this year had grand expectations of itself.
Even though I thinned and thinned, our tree was still loaded- as in branches hanging to the ground. I hope my lack of additional thinning didn't permanently damage our tree. This next years trimming is going to be an interesting one. I truly hope our tree recovers. It looks pretty pathetic at the moment.
We were careful to spray our apples throughout the summer to keep out bugs and we put boards under the branches to help support the weight of our apples. I was trying to wait for the first freeze to harvest, but we haven't had a freeze yet. The birds were starting to feast, so I lost patience and pulled all our apples off the last two days.
The kids enjoyed pretending we were farmers for a few minutes.
Their help didn't last long and they turned to throwing old zucchini squash instead. Thanks a lot guys.
We've been watching "Mirror Mirror" lately and this picture is a little too Snow White/Evil Queen for me.
Apple anyone?
. About 1/3 of the apples on the tree were filled with bugs or had been eaten by birds.
This is about 1/4 of the good apples we got off our tree. We have a lot of stinking apples around here.
I've given away a bunch already and my outside fridge is full.
Let the apple eating begin...
I put together a few batches of apple crisp filling to freeze last night after the little kids were in bed.
This corer/peeler/slicer tool is AMAZING. Thanks to my parents for getting it for me!!
After slicing and peeling, I sauteed the apples in butter, sugar, spices and the secret ingredient…lemon peel.
My house smelled amazing to the 100th degree!
Three batches ready for the freezer.
Hot apple crisp at 10pm is the best!
Steve graciously went to the store for ice cream. Yum!
Just a little apple.
If we do sell our house and move, I am so going to miss my fruit trees that after 6 years are finally starting to produce and be really fun.
To the next owners of our home…you're welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment