Monday, January 17, 2011

Quilting Shame

I come from a family with some serious quilting skills.
Skills that I do not possess.
This stack here counts for maybe half of the beautiful quilts that have been made for me or my children.
It's impressive.

For a closer look...please scroll down.

This one was made for Saylor by my mother.  It is flannel with green minky on the back. 


This one was also make for Saylor, but by Steve's Grandmother Dixon.
She has also made one for each of my boys.


Here is another one made by Grandma Dixon.
This one is Carter's
I treasure each and every one of her quilts.

My fabulous mother made this quilt for Andrew's eight birthday and baptism. 
 It sits on his bed.


This was made by my Grandmother Walker and was on my twin size bed all growing up.
It will be passed down to Saylor.
Those ties are about an inch apart.
There are hundreds and hundreds of them.
This quilt is amazing and soft and snuggly.


This quilt was also made by my Grandmother Walker.
Ever stitch you see was hand stitched by her.
Her stitches were even and perfect.
This quilt was in her house until very recently before she passed away.
It is now on my king size bed.
The amount of work that went into these stitches overwhelms me, as does the fact that I now own this quilt.
I can still see her tiny hands quilting away- she wore super glue on them to keep them from getting sore.
I love this quilt.

This amazing beauty was made by Steve's mom for Steve and I when we got married.
It's the quilt Steve requested.  I can't believe all the little pieces cut out and sewn together.
Our names and wedding date are quilted in the sides.

And, it has this on the underside corner.
I love it.


This bad boy was made for my family by my sister JaNae.  
She is the quilter to out quilt them all.
She deserves the word gifted.
Because she is.

I have posted quilts made by her in the past.
And I'm sure there will be more in the future.

Such as...

I hired my sister to work on a few projects for me.
I'll post pictures when they are finished.
Let just say that she has outdone herself...again.



This...is how I quilt.
Sad isn't it.
I've come to the conclusion that I'm buyer, not a quilter.

Even the thought of going into a fabric store makes me want to have a panic attack.
I'm hopeless.

I tried not to be hopeless once.
Really I did.
I actually sewed maybe four or five pieces of fabric together for this quilt...it was the most stressful thirty minutes of my life.

JaNae had to finish the masterpiece.
It was for my boys.
They love it.  It is the most favorite in the house at the moment and they take turns sleeping with it at night.

But I did bind it.

I bring shame to my quilting family.
I'm am the black flaw on the quilting fabric of life.

However, my lack of quilting ability and knack (heck...simple desire)  does not diminish the gratitude and love I have for those who have quilted  for me.  
Each of these quilts were made by someone who loved me.
And I am forever grateful.

...even if I do plan on buying my grandchildren quilts from Pottery Barn.
(but I might cut off the tags before I gift wrap them)


4 comments:

  1. Love You! :)

    Black Flaw....hilarious, and so not true.
    If we could only suck you in.
    We could use your shopping skills.
    YOU ARE the MASTER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S.
    I hope you know that you keep me sane.
    REALLY, you do!
    I am so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool post to spotlight all these neat quilts. Don't worry, I stink at all things sewing...you're talented in SO many other ways, really!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I LOVE looking at all of these amazing quilts! Great post Jill. I absolutely adore the picots on Carter's quilt! Wow.
    And nothing is wrong with Pottery Barn! Sadly, it's probably cheaper to buy PB than for me to quilt with the fabric I'd want to. So, I just don't do either.... lazy.

    PS-I adored the fact you bought the hideous Macy's vest for Viking costumes! Brilliant! Would you care if I copied? I promise to not come trick-or-treating on your turf...

    ReplyDelete