Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yesterday...

I didn't write this post yesterday because it would have come off even more sarcastic and ranty than usual...and then my sisters would have thought I was pregnant again.  I write really "fun" when I'm pregnant.

But the sun came up this morning and the day is different.  I even laughed hysterically as my eldest son jumped of the furniture and pretended he was Nacho...sound effects included.  (Why does Nacho Libre never get old?)  He is not allowed to jump off the furniture, but I got a thirty minute nap today so I'm letting it slide.  The nap was taken the the living room floor as Saylor played around and on top of me- my head took the brunt of it- and she was stinky.  It's amazing how life can be so much sweeter...but may not smell better...after a 30 minute nap.

But yesterday still needs to be documented.  It was one of "those" days.  Those days that don't come around very often, but when they do- you'd think that hell itself opened a portal directly into your home. (My tendency to exaggerate isn't dependant on pregnancy.) Around 4:30 pm I didn't feel the need to be a mother anymore.  I did however, feel the need for a nanny, three ibuprofen and my pillow.  The kids were crazy, I was snappy and Steve told me he could feel the tension wafting from the house as soon as he pulled into the neighborhood.  I must stink really bad when I'm stressed.

For organizational purposes, its easiest to break down the day by individual.  And it wasn't just one individual that made yesterday so awful, it was everyone wrapped up together in one big stinky fermenting Dixon hell-hole mess.  (should I go take a pregnancy test?)

Andrew:  This kid is yes, wonderful, but he knows how to push my buttons.  He has an obnoxious factor that is never to read above 3 at home.  Yesterday after school it was at least a 7.  Combine this with homework issues and I thought I would lose my mind.  Andrew is very similar to me.  Hence why we have issues when I help him with homework.  We both like to talk and neither of us like to be told what to do.  We clash like oil and water when I'm helping him with homework.  We have a system where we both have to close our mouths and choose to listen to one another and sadly I'm finding that he is usually right.  Dang it.  Andrew also unfortunately likes to procrastinate.  He has a massive project due on Friday and he has known about it since Christmas vacation.  It's coming down to the wire...and I'm not doing this for him.  (Steve is going to have to!)

Carter:  His blood sugar is a mess.  The last month has been very frustrating, and this last week has been impossible.  All my regular tricks of getting his blood sugar down have not worked and its come to the point of almost doubling his insulin every day.  This is stressful because I have an innate fear of dropping him too low.  I commented on a friends blog today, who also has a diabetic child, that if diabetes was a person I would kick him in the teeth.  I am tired of feeling I'm not doing enough- even though I'm giving it my all.  Steve and I are both exhausted because we are getting up so many times at night to make sure he isn't too high...or like the last two nights, too low.  Night time blood sugars in the 40's and 50's scare my flannel pjs off.  Carter, because he is bouncing between the 40's and 300's is not a happy camper.  He's moody.   Even more moody than regular.  Kill me.

Colby:  Colby has taken his eating issues to a new level.  He sat at the counter for two hours last night not eating a cheese tortilla.  Two hours.  Two painful whiny pouty begging to get down hours.  Steve and I stuck to our guns and Colby finished his dinner.  We are having to be ruthless because if left to his own devices he would not eat any real food and would survive on cheese balls and granola bars alone.  Can't you just hear the "failure to thrive" on his health records?  He is horrible!  He will eat two or three bites at each meal and tell me his is too full to eat any more- thirty minutes later he is begging for a snack.  I'm happy to report, however, that today he ate all his meals because I told him absolutely NO snacks today unless his plates were licked clean.

On the flip side, Colby still cracks me up daily.  Yesterday he got into his cowboy boots and hat and talked about being a real cowboy.  "Boy Cowboys have boy horses and Girl Cowboys have girl horses."  He then got the saddest look on his face, folded his arms and hung his head, "But I'm not a real cowboy Mom, because I don't have a real horse."  If I hadn't been so sick of trying to feed him, I would have laughed out loud.

Saylor:  She has a very strict sleep schedule.  If this schedule is not kept, she is a monster!  She was up early yesterday morning and her nap only lasted an hour.  By five thirty last night I was at my wits end.  At six Steve handed her to me and begged me to put her to bed.  She cried for over thirty minutes before she fell asleep.  A fussy baby is like fingernails to a chalkboard.

Steve:  I'm feeling that he is stressed lately but I don't know if he will ever admit it, and stress wafts off of him more than it does me.  Work is slow, church is busy and when he can smell the tension in the house two blocks away life can't be breezy.  Oh and he is tired-oh so tired.  He is saintly about letting me sleep and getting up with Carter.  Love him.

Me:  Well...besides all of the above...I'm surviving as usual.  But to add a little fun to the mix, my blood pressure is uncontrolled at the moment.  I start my third medication in the last two weeks in the morning and I'm really hoping this one pulls me down from 140/110.  I laugh to myself every time I check it because if I was pregnant, I would be on bed rest, on a magnesium drip or being induced at the moment. Crazy that my blood pressure is better pregnant than not.  Ironic also that with this newest medication I CANNOT get pregnant.  There are big warning labels on harm to a fetus on the medication.  Fun fun.   Plus side to new medication- diuretics make you lose weight.  Lost four pounds of pure water weight in the last week.  Nice- but my hands are cracked and dry from being dehydrated.  I'll take the dry hands.
On a totally different subject, I'm going on a girls trip with my most treasured Virginia girlfriends in three weeks.  There was a mishap with the plane tickets I bought and I'm mourning the loss of a few hundred dollars to fix it.  But besides the cashola, I am so excited I can hardly stand myself-  especially after yesterday.  I need a break.  But before I can go, I have to wean a most beloved Saylor.  She is only nursing in the morning and and night at the moment-hurray!  The only bad side to this, it the fact that I don't need to eat hundreds of extra delicious calories everyday to feed her.  Blast.  I can't eat out of boredom anymore.  This is not going to be easy.

3 comments:

  1. JILL!!! I seriously feel like the poopiest neighbor ever! If only it was summer time and you had your windows open I could "hear" your stressed outness and could just know you needed some assistance or at least a Diet Coke...from Sonic!!! I'm putting my foot down and I am going to give you until Thursday, of this week, to come up with more then 1 thing that I can do to help you out and take a few things off your plate! If I dont hear from you then prepare for me to get very scary stalker like! I will stalk you and take drastic measures to helping you out in ways you may not want or enjoy! So please make me a list!! loves!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your day. I hate those day...and it seems they don't just get better the next day it a whole week of weaning the bad out and getting back to normal. At least the worst is over? right...maybe.
    I hope it gets better- use those extra calories while you can and eat lots of chocolate :) If I was closer I'd bring you some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Life's a butt and then you die." That is what I always say anyway, because I am not the most chipper optimistic person in general that ever graced the earth. I don't 'grace' much come to think of it. I am yelling lately- Tyler tells me that if I start at a level 7 when I have no where to go but through the roof when things get worse. If I start at a 1 or 2... I have lots of anger room to go and can resort to yelling only when I finally eek up to a 7. The problem is... I wake up at a 6. Jill, I am not dealing with half of the health issues you are and I am still a daily mess. What does that say? Crap.
    You better not bail tomorrow. If Saylor needs a nap, I will just move the party to your house. Don't tempt me, I will.

    ReplyDelete