Sunday, April 3, 2011

weekend adventures...if staying home with kids counts as an adventure.

Who am I fooling?
OF course staying home with kids is an adventure!!!

It was a four day weekend as the boys had both Thursday and Friday out of school.  As the weekend progressed, my enthusiasm over a four day weekend grew less and less.
Love my kids...
Love when they are home...
Really happy two of them are going back to school in the morning.  Yippee!

The weekend weather was fickle as always in April.  We spent one day enjoying almost 70 degree weather and I actually pulled like six weeds before I got over heated and had to go inside. (ok, maybe five)  The next day however, was windy and in the 40's so we ran a few errands and then stayed inside.

The cold made me want to drive to Starbucks and pick up this...  
 A vanilla or caramel steamer with lemon pound cake is a guilty pleasure I usually only share with Alysia and Annelie on girly vacations, and while in San Diego last week I indulged too.
But in Twin, I have not been so naughty.
Heaven forbid I darken the doorway of a Starbucks here in town- somebody might see me and tell my bishop.(ha ha) 

So yesterday I had to improvise and make my own.
(Another reason besides my righteous reputation being at stake to make my own pound cake is that I can make an entire pound cake for the price of one measly slice at Starbucks!  I'm thrifty...really I am.)
 My knack for messing with recipes proved valiant and I succeeded with this baby.
Not as pretty as Starbucks, but just as good.
It was delicious and is now gone off the counter.
It's hanging around my thighs and midsection as I type. 
(If anyone wants the recipe please ask...I'm just too lazy to post it if nobody wants it.)


Besides baking, we had many adventures this weekend.
This morning started off with a bang- literally.
Carter was obediently putting blankets away for me and decided the best way to carry them up the stairs and into the living room would be on his head.  This thought process proved to be faulty as he tripped on the blanket and slammed head first into the edge of the couch.

 If it hadn't been for the blanket cushioning the blow, his head would have been split open for sure. 
But on the flip side, if it wasn't for the blanket he wouldn't have tripped at all.
Ironic- I know.

I think Steve was a little disappointed that he didn't get to try out his "at home" suture skills ( he will never admit it...but I know he is secretly hoping one of us will cut something deep enough for him to save us a trip to the emergency room.  My hero.) and Carter is VERY disappointed that a bump on the forehead doesn't warrant staying home from school.


He has recovered nicely and will most likely have a black eye as the blood drains from the massive goose egg on his forehead.  
If there was ever a time he should try out for a cling-on on Star Trek, this would be the time!


Also this morning, we rearranged the front room and brought in the computer to watch the sessions of conference.  (we got rid of cable...sniff sniff)
I snapped a few shots of the crew all together and the sun hit one of our children perfectly to show off this child's true angelic nature.  Can you guess who?

 If not, I will show a closer shot.

 Yep, she is an angel alright.  And she has the halo to prove it.


Conference was great.  We bribed the kids with jelly beans and skittles.  They picked a word for each conference talk and every time that word was said, they got one piece of candy.
Elder Bednar's talk of revelation proved to be a real disappointment to the kids as we chose the word "temple."  Out of pity, we let the kids change the word to revelation half way through and then gave them a 10 candy limit. 
Tooth decay anyone?

I promised I wouldn't put a picture of Carter's head on the blog, but I guess I'll have to repent tomorrow.
The head on view is so much nicer than the side view.

We had Steve's parents over for soup and homemade rolls and then watch Tangled for the hundredth time this weekend. 
I think I will have Mandy Moore's voice in my head all night long.

...and just for posterity sake, the kids' favorite character from that movie is the chubby mime.

3 comments:

  1. Poor Carter. I got a head side view of him on the couch. Oh Ouch! What a great shot of the Saylor halo. And by the way, we loved the pound cake. It was exceptionally tasty. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered if you had gotten so sick of him that you beat him over the head! Poor boy! I dont want the recipe for the yummy bread, but would sure love a fully baked loaf delivered to my doorstep! Even though I'm trying to lose my weight from surgery....i guess I could splurge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I forgot to tell you our conference bribing with candy story. The first two talks were total duds. Not one word. The middle ones were fine. The last one in the first session, the one by our beloved Prophet, we picked temple. Before we even knew who was speaking or anything. Guess how many times he said it. 70. yep, thats right. 70. The kids got to pick 6 pieces. They think I am horrible.

    ReplyDelete