Thursday, August 18, 2011

Kane Lake Camping Trip

And for the record, no, I did not attend this camping trip, nor was I invited.  
I  happily spent three fun filled days with my sisters while simultaneously stressing over my new stake calling. 
Life is not slow, but fulfilling.

But enough about me, back to the trip...

Steve took the three boys with his dad and brother north of Sun Valley armed only with the their cars and a decked-out airstream to rough it in the beautiful Idaho wilderness.

Conquering this trail was their main objective.

Steve told me the pocket knives were whipped out within minutes of their Monday afternoon arrival.

Colby is not old enough for a pocket knife, so he whipped out the Cheetos instead.  
(We learned from our past camp out- without Cheetos, Colby would die from starvation.)
Everyone else ate foil dinners.

After a 'good' nights rest in thirty degree weather and what I'm sure was a greasy delicious breakfast, the campers headed out for their hike.  It was supposed to be four miles to the lake.  It ended up being a little longer...six miles.

But these kids were troopers.


And the lake was worth the work.

The boys fished and played in the water. 
The water stayed in the lake, but the fish did not...they were eaten for dinner.

After walking TWELVE miles in one day, the boys were obviously worn out by the time they got off the trail and back to the cars.  This is Carter's best "can I please sit down now face".  
I'm impressed how well my boys did both physically and mentally.  I would have been crying in my dirty sneakers half way up the trail.
I'm also impressed how well Carter's blood sugar was after such a hard day.  Steve told me he fed Carter a steady stream of skittles to keep him above 100 most of the hike. 


The trail head was not at the campsite and the crew had to drive back to reach it.  Steve obviously didn't mind.  I'm naming this picture,
Why everyone should own an old Land Cruiser...so they can drive through small rivers and pretend they're driving in a car commercial.


On the last day the boys found an old cabin and posed for my benefit.  They think this should be our summer home-outhouse included.  Ha Ha.

This is my favorite picture Steve brought home.
 I love my boys, and Colby's clone.

I'm glad they all had such a fun time camping and I'm grateful everyone came home safe and unharmed.
(I'm not grateful for the mound of stinky laundry sitting in my laundry room, but everything worthwhile comes with a small price.)


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your new calling! They announced it at church last Sunday and I know you'll do a wonderful job! (and I'll admit it... I'm a bit jealous... any YW calling is my DREAM calling... well, except maybe the stake ones. Yeah, I'll leave those to you.) :)

    ReplyDelete