Thursday, September 22, 2011

havent found what I'm looking for

When I find it, I'll know it.  
I'm looking for a blog or website that cooks real gluten free food.  Not fancy organic specialty store over the top agave nectar type food, but real normal run of the mill everyday I have four kids who need to eat healthy but I still have to stay on a budget food.  (and buying five types of overpriced gluten free flours is out)  
For example:
Tonight for dinner I made simmered pork with gluten free Progresso mushroom soup (instead of Campbell's cream of mushroom...thank you Jolyn for the tip) with baked potatoes dug fresh from my garden.  I browned the pork in a little oil on my stove top and then poured the soup on top.  I then baked the pork covered for three hours at 300 degrees.  The pork melted in your mouth and the Yukon gold potatoes were to die for.   I served the meat and potatoes with broiled aspargas seasoned with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese and also sauteed mushrooms in olive oil.  I lastly cut up apples for the kids.
Get it?  Real food.

I also tweaked a peanut butter cookie recipe yesterday that turned out wonderful and it didn't need anything I wouldn't normally stock in my pantry.  

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa powder (but next time I might use 1/3 cup, they were really chocolaty)
peanut butter and semi sweet chips
bake 350 for 10 minutes.

Why can't I find information on food like this?
I guess my sister and I are on our own.  She is my best resource out there.  She has been living with celiac for five plus years and she is a pro at it. 
I'm grateful to have her.  If I didn't I wouldn't know how to even cope.  We have spent the day texting back and forth and I even called her from the grocery store asking her questions.  Thank you Jo for your patience.  I think I have asked you 15 times whether I can have maltodextrin or not.  Ghee Whiz.
I love you Jolyn!
...yippee!  Now you can safely eat at my house.  


Ok, off the gluten subject (I'm obsessing for obvious reasons and I need to think about other things)

Love this picture!  If she didn't have a snotty nose, banged up eye, crazy hair and yogurt glued eyebrow, I would think about framing it.  The afternoon sunlight was fun to capture from my porch.  Next time I will give Say a bath before her photo shoot.

Been meaning to post this one for a while.  Carter made himself some friends using a torn up Lego box.  I find it very creative, but a little sad.  We miss the little next door neighbor boy who moved away earlier this year.  I think I will name this cardboard guy Payton #2. 


This man is growing at speeds I cannot comprehend.  His feet are now the same size as mine and I think he is gearing for a significant growth spurt.  He can put down MASSIVE amounts of food but doesn't have an ounce of fat on him.  For breakfast earlier this week, he ate a huge bowl of cereal (at least three times the normal serving size.  Trust me I know what a suggested serving is, I weigh all of Carter's food) two eggs with cheese and 1 1/2 sausage patties.  I'm beginning to wonder how I'm going to feed him in the upcoming years.  I hope you like rice Andrew- rice and potatoes...and cheese balls. 

Sorry Colbsters, no pictures of you.  I think you were inside watching TV...or doing your homework.  Lets just say it was homework to make me feel better.

1 comment: