We cleaned out the garden today. Corn husks, bean plants, sun flowers, and peppers all went in to a nice pile far in the back field. Potatoes and onions were pulled out of the ground and placed in boxes to store. All that is left are the zucchini plants, sweet meat squash and a few tomatoes left to ripen. I'm hoping there are enough left to make some fresh salsa. We also pulled three large orange pumpkins off the dying vine to wait their fate of being our jack-o-lanterns at the end of the month.
I love fall.
I love the cooler weather.
I love the smell.
I love wearing jackets and pulling out sweaters that have been in the closet for too long.
I love the peaches and apples.
I love the trees changing colors.
I love the prospect of making soup.
I love looking at the14 quarts of tomatoes sitting on my counter sealed and ready to be stored away in the basement.
I love the fact that Steve and Carter's birthdays are this month...then it's Halloween...then it's Saylor's birthday...then it's Thanksgiving...then I get to put up my Christmas trees. I'm jumping the gun, but this is my favorite time of year.
***********
Celiac Update
My stomach is so sensitive lately. I am staying completely out of gluten (except for the Nerds I ate this afternoon and then read the label that they were processed in the same plant as wheat...blast), but I don't feel like I'm getting any better, not everyday anyways. I'm finding that if I eat even one bite too much I am sick to my stomach and in pain the rest of the night. I'm also finding that certain foods, however gluten free, are a big no no. Take popcorn for instance. I have eaten it twice in the past two weeks and have been up with a stomach ache both nights. I know that it takes time for my body to heal from the inflammation gluten has caused in my digestive track, but its been two weeks and I'm getting impatient. I want to feel good again.
On a brighter note, I actually felt hungry today. I haven't felt real hunger honestly in a while. My appetite has been gone and I dread meal times because nothing sounds good...and I'm afraid its going to make me hurt. (disclaimer: candy always sounds good) I made pico with fresh onions and tomatoes tonight. (Steve had already taken the boys to Wendy's after they cleaned the office. They needed a gluten fix.) It tasted very close to Cafe Rio pico. I ate a huge bowl of it with tortilla chips. It was wonderful, but I'm hoping I'm not dreading that decision later tonight.
Two nights ago I had a pity party for myself. It was small and well contained, but dripping with sorry for myself feelings. I just wanted to eat 'normal' food. I wanted to go out to eat. I wanted to make rolls and eat them slathered in butter. I wanted to eat a Ritz cracker for heaven sake! But I didn't. I bought five pounds of Peter's chocolate and made scotcharoos with corn chex instead of rice crispies (they have gluten in them...stupid stupid stupid). They empty nutritionless calories filled the void. I also made sweet and sour chicken and bacon fried rice for dinner. I couldn't each much of either, but just having them in the house made me feel like myself again.
I love fall too. I am positively giddy that it is here/right around the corner (depends on the day). Sweaters, blankets, cocoa, cider, a chill in the air, fresh fruit from the trees....ahh, welcome fall!
ReplyDeleteAre muddy buddies gluten free? If so, I dare say they may be gracing your house a lot more frequently??
http://www.gfreecuisine.com/
ReplyDeleteDon't use it, but it might be an awesome start for a few months....