Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Not quite twelve

My eldest son turns twelve on the first of August. 
He is not quite old enough to participate in the 12 year old scout camp outs, but because the scouts were short a fearless leader last weekend, they made an exception for Andrew if Steve could come along.
Steve and Andrew obliged and happily went back to Kane Lake.  Steve took our boys on this six mile hike last year, but this time he and Andrew backpacked and spent the night at Kane Lake.
 (They both admitted it was MUCH harder carrying 25-35 lbs on their backs.)

The 12 and 13 year olds....plus one 11 year old.
 They are still smiling here because they hadn't yet started hiking.
It took the pack six hours to reach the lake.  Steve was proud of Andrew keeping up with the older boys and not complaining.   I was proud of Steve for the exact same reasons.

The view at the lake. 
Note the tents way on the right bottom corner.  What a beautiful place to camp!
Please don't tell Steve, but this picture makes me want to go camping...just a little.

After a night of not much sleep, Andrew got up early and started catching fish.  Yes, that is snow...and he's wearing shorts.  I will never understand boys.
 He caught a total of seven trout and twice as many mosquito bites.
The fish were smelly and the bites were itchy.
...oh, and the red-neck sunburns were hot and painful.
Next hiking trip they will pack more sunblock and bug spray.

Ready to head home on Saturday afternoon.

The entire crew...not so smiley because they know what they have to climb down.

I'm so happy Andrew had a fun experience and that his dad was able to go with him.  This is just the beginning of my son's scouting adventures.  He and Steve are actually leaving for Camp Bradley Monday morning for a week long scouting extravaganza.  I will try to survive without my husband and best babysitter.   I hope they survive the bugs and bears.
I also hope Steve takes a larger sleeping bag this time around.  When he was ready to go to bed Friday night at the lake, Steve realized he brought a Colby sized sleeping bag instead of the super light adult sized sleeping bag.  The stuff sacks for the two are extremely similar.  The one Steve brought only came up to his waist.  He had a long cold night.  Poor guy.  But I think the copious amounts of Red Vines and cold Pepsi on the drive home made up for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment