Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Somebody Better Stop Them

My kids are growing up way too fast.  
My eyes blink and they grow two inches.  (Ok...who am I kidding here, these are my kids we are talking about.  I blink and they grow 2 mm.)  But, they are getting older faster than I would like.
For instance,

Saylor is out of her crib/toddler bed.
Steve converted her crib to a full sized bed yesterday evening.  She is officially out of her baby bed and is now a big girl.  (except...insert clearing throat noises...she is still in diapers, but we won't discuss that now.)  The only remnant of the crib left to adore is the tooth marks scattering the length of the foot board.  Say Say had a serious gopher problem around 14 months.
I'm having sad heart tugging emotions about this change.  As I cleaned up yesterday and stored away her crib mattress and bedding (why am I storing it anyway?) my heart ached for my baby girl and how fast she has changed in the last 2 1/2 years.   The sappy country song about a daughter growing up too fast on the radio this morning didn't help.  
To make myself feel better, I have big plans for this room.  Plans that might involve green and purple paper lanterns, a few throw pillows, and maybe a gallery wrap of Say as an infant.  Retail therapy tends to help.

When Saylor saw her bed for the first time put together she exclaimed, "Can I jump on it now?"
No, you can not jump on it, but you can sleep in it every night with plenty of room for your baby dolls and story books.  You were running out of room in your toddler bed for your sleeping accessories and yourself.  This bed is much better.

Carter is changing before my eyes too and is finally realizing that he can be brave.  Carter takes after me in many ways and courage is not something I possessed genetically to pass along in even small doses.  A little bravery around here must go a long way.  
We were at Nat Soo Pah Monday night and Carter remembered a bribe I must shamefully admit I was not above dishing out.  
"Mom, if I go off the high dive, will you still buy me a speedo?"
Yes, my eight year old wanted swim jammers enough for me to bargain with them.
"Yep Carter, that bribe still stands."
The high dive was conquered and Carter is now the proud owner of some super tight swim shorts.  He thinks they are AWESOME because they are just like Andrews, but with a blue stripe.  He could hardly wait to wear them today and was crazy excited to be aerodynamic in the pool.  He was positive he would be WAY faster.  I was forbidden to take pictures of his tight little rump, because my children know my blogging habits...but one day I will get that shot, I promise.
I pondered today why boys, who get to wear awesome roomy swim trunks would want to wear tight form fitting swim shorts.  I've never been able to wear swim trunks that would perfectly hide any dairy products I was sporting on my hind end.  It truly isn't fair.  Boys don't know how good they have it.

Oh yeah...Colby asked for a speedo today too.  
I bribed him with having to participate in swim team this fall.  We'll see it it works.  I'm not sure I can find a speedo tiny enough for his little tooshy, but I'll try.

Steve, however, is not growing up too fast and came home last night with, yes, the mattress he was planning on buying...and a new tv for our bedroom.  
Ghee Whiz.
Steve, after the purchase of his camping trailer has been banned for even wanting anything else in the "big ticket" range for the next 12 months.  
He weaseled this purchase by smiling at me, tilting his head to the side, laughing slightly and explaining that the tv was actually for me.  
Ha Ha.
I'm going to buy him a really beautiful desk, a few picture frames for our bedroom and most likely some throw pillows.  I'm sure he's going to LOVE them.
Saylor, after walking into our room this morning and seeing the tv cried out with excitement,
"Oh My Goodness!  It's so big!  Is it for me to watch Dora?" 
I think I might have Steve move in with Saylor for a while so I can enjoy "my" tv by myself.



1 comment:

  1. Don't let go of your baby stuff if you don't want more kids....I had a friend who did that and they got a surprise child a few years later! You just hang onto it for insurance. :)

    And I was meaning to tell you - if you have a Dora birthday party in mind for a certain someone, I have a Dora cake pan you'd be welcome to borrow.

    ReplyDelete