Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Fun Parent

Steve and Andrew are gone away at scout camp which leaves me in charge of the three youngest kiddos by myself.  You would think I would be getting so many things accomplished with two less bodies to take care of, but...well...that's not really happening.

Because, I'm trying very hard to be the "Fun Parent"
You see, whenever I leave town for more that a few days, all normal household responsibilities and functions come to a screeching halt and my children are exposed to "Mom-is-Gone Steve: aka the Fun Parent."  It's days and nights of treats, movies, riotous living (as riotous as four little kids and a virtuous dad can be) and dinners at shady establishments I would never set foot in let alone put something in my mouth from.   It's a party at the Dixon house when I'm away.  Dad will even buy HUGE bags of sugar cereal that somehow disappear withing a 72 hour period.  It's mysterious how that much cereal can be consumed by four juvenile bodies.  I'm even wondering if there might be an pet of some kind that comes to live here while I'm away...I wouldn't put it past my husband, he is that fun.  The man is legendary and me leaving town is something my kids speak of in hushed awed voices. 
 It's better than Christmas.

Anyhoo, I decided that this week I would let my hair down so to speak and try to be the fun parent.  Steve is gone this time.  I can be fun right?  I can throw responsibility out the window right?  I can buy sugar cereal right?
Too bad I'm failing...miserably.

Why?  
Because I made the kids clean the toy closet.  (It was hideous.  I found dirty socks in with the tinker toys.)
 I took them with me to a home decor store and a flooring store for more than 30 minutes.  (How dare I do something I want to do!)
They have actually been bathed more than once in the past four days.  (There was actual protesting.)
The cookies I made had oatmeal in them...and zucchini. (Oh the humanity)
They have been in be before 9:30 every night.
They have had their hair combed.
We didn't skip swim lessons, guitar lessons, or violin lessons.  (But we haven't practiced a whole lot.)
I made them eat fruit.

And the kicker of them all?
The doosy of all doosies?
The end all beat all number one reason I will NEVER EVER EVER be the "Fun Parent"?


I wouldn't buy my spoiled children Lego Sets.
Carter even had the guts to tell me when I declined to plunk down my money for this particular set, "Mom, I guess you'll never be the fun parent."

I guess not Carter.  
Even though I took you to Kiwi Loco for DINNER tonight, I will never be the fun parent.
Even though I bought you two new movies, I will never be the fun parent.
Even though I bought you a Costco sized box of cocoa pebbles type cereal, I will never be the fun parent.  (I'm guessing the fact that it is preservative and artificial flavoring free excludes it from being fun.)

I think I'll make you scrub toilets tomorrow to prove how un-fun I really am.
Mwahh--haa-haa-haa.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're fun and my kids do too! That must make me really not the fun parent!!

    ReplyDelete