Sunday, September 23, 2012

"You look how I feel"

That is what the bishop told me today.
"You look how I feel"
That's what I really wanted to hear, that I look like a man that works his guts out every minute of every day.   Yep...I'm tired and and shows.  I don't work every minute of every day, I sleep most of it actually, but I still look horrible.
Awesome.
And attractive.
And such is life.

Steve and I went to Boise yesterday.  We purchased Les Mis tickets almost six months ago and crazy enough, Andrew had a huge cross country meet in Eagle at the same time.  His ankles and feet have been hurting, so before his meet Steve and I took him to a running store and had his gait measured and all that running mumbo jumbo I don't understand.  They recommended a certain type of shoes to help support his growing feet and lucky us- they were on sale.  We dropped him off to the care of his coach and then Steve and I met some friends downtown for the show.

I saw Les Mis when I was 19 in London.  I remember loving it and thinking it was wonderful.  This rendition however, well how do I describe it...it was filthy.  This production company took what used to be innuendo of obviously mature content (prostitution people), and took it to a level I couldn't believe.  The innkeepers so many years ago in London were the comic relief of the show.  This sho...they were disgusting, rank and their parts were so blatantly sexually expressive that I should have walked out.  I was mortified for every parent who had brought their small children and teenagers.  Mortified. 
I'm so saddened by how explicit our world has become.  The wonderful music and voices of this production were tainted with the filth and sleaze the director thought was necessary.  Our society is a desensitized mess and my heart is broken about it.  Sadly, Steve and I will think twice about attending any show in the future at the Morrison Center at BSU.   And in addition, I will never pay for my children to see Les Mis.  

While we were gone, my parents watched Carter Colby and Saylor.  Oh, how I love my parents.  Our kids had a blast and can't wait to stay with them for eight whole days in October.  Saylor talks daily about her future "sleep over" at Grandma Walker's house.  
My mom had all my kids bathed and ready for bed when Steve and I returned home around 9:30 last night.  Saylor even had her hair in socks like I used to wear to bed when I was little.  This morning, she had a mop full of curly curly hair that looked adorable as a bundle of curls on the top of her head for church.  She however was NOT happy with her quality of sleep last night and told me she wanted the socks OUT.   I wonder if I'll be able to bribe her into letting me tie up her hair again.

The kids don't have school tomorrow and I'm grateful for the break in crazy school routine.  The boys are scheming about what they are going to do all day.  Little do they know I'm planning on cleaning the house.  I'm learning that I don't have magic fairies that clean while I'm sleeping...but oh how I wish I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment