Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Kane Lake...and how I'm gearing up for the next 14 years to be filled with scouting injuries

Andrew's scout troop backpacked to Kane lake this last weekend.  Steve and Carter decided to join in the fun of a five mile uphill hike.
I stayed home...obviously.


 Andrew's troop.

 I was worried about Carter being able to make the hike, but Steve said he was a trooper and never complained.

 The pictures are gorgeous and make we want to come along one year after all my kids are bigger.
Camping with big kids is one thing, camping with little kids is another story.

 Andrew isn't documented in the hike pictures as he blazed ahead with a small group of trail gunners...something they were not supposed to do.
They were properly educated on why going ahead is NOT a good idea.
I'm grateful for Andrew's wonderful scout leader who is not afraid to lay down the law.
Andrew won't be making this mistake again.

 How would you like to wake up to this view?
It's beautiful and the phone pictures don't do it justice!

 While blazing ahead, Andrew's fishing line snagged on a tree and by the time he noticed, most of his fishing line had unraveled and was gone.  When he cast for the first time, ALL his line ended up in the lake.  (I tried not to laugh hysterically when hearing the story.)  
Carter on the other hand, caught a fish with his first cast.  Steve went back to his pack to grab something and came back to Carter holding a fish in his hands.  Carter had some serious beginners luck!

 If first you don't succeed, try and try again.

 A fellow camper who was at the lake with his family taught my boys how to stream fish.  Andrew and Carter caught multiple fish each.
(We ate them last night  and they were delicious.)

 Carter and Andrew had a fantastic time at Kane Lake as they always do camping with their dad.  However, when they started down the mountain Saturday night, Carter's tennis shoes proved to be completely inadequate on the loose rock trail.  With still a few miles to go, Carter's right ankle was sprained, both feet were bruised, tears were flowing, and the hiking was delicate and slow.  Steve and Andrew's scout leader took turns carrying Carter on their backs down the trail.  Carter weighs about 60 lbs.  I can't believe how tough these men are.  The boys didn't return home until almost 11:30 Saturday night.  It was a long long trip home.
I was so grateful to see all three of my Dixon hikers home safe...but wasn't happy to see what shape they were in.  
Carter could hardly walk and again the tears were flowing...poor kid.


 This picture doesn't show how bad it was, but Andrew's right arm was extremely swollen from a bug bite to the point where it looked broken.

 His back was covered in these...

 and his finger was badly cut from an attempt to clean the fillet knife after gutting fish.

...and people wonder why I prefer to stay home on such trips.

Sunday morning Carter still wouldn't put weight on his right foot.
I should have waited a few days but I took him to see a doctor (mostly because Steve was home on Sunday and had I waited until Monday, I would have had to take four other kids with me.  That many people in a dr's office is not fun.)
After an X-ray, it was shown that Carter's foot wasn't broken, but the doctor wanted to rule out a growth plate injury and ordered Carter to keep off his foot completely.
Carter wasn't happy about my picture taking.

 Grady didn't care though.

Carter was splinted and wheeled out of the office in style.
Man, was he embarrassed.
(love love love embarrassing my children)

Yesterday, Carter wasn't complaining about his foot and after Steve asked his brother to look at the X-ray again, Carter got the go ahead to take the splint off and try out his ankle.
Is it bad to admit I was a little annoyed that he was jumping down the stairs ten minutes later?
I feel like I just flushed $200 down the drain.
I'm just chalking up this as another adventure survived.  Whew.  

...now what's going to happen next year when Steve and Andrew go on high-adventure???

1 comment:

  1. But did they change their underwear?!!!!!!! You ( and they) will survive the next 14 years! Good times!

    ReplyDelete