Actually, I shouldn't joke about water. Earlier this week we had what is being called the 100 year storm. Idaho's usual annual rainfall is about 13 inches. We got 4+ in less than 48 hours. Streets flooded, houses flooded, and it was general wet chaos for a few days. Our home was spared any water, but our office was not. Thankfully we lived to tell about it. Idaho does have it's natural "disasters" and I can't become complacent in my emergency preparedness. There were a few times during the rain where I had flashbacks from living in Richmond. The healthy fear I have of storms is not tucked away very deep. It rose to the surface and gave me the urge to start packing to leave. Seeing water rise and fill the streets with the forecast of more rain is not my favorite.
Ok, now back to fun stuff after the water receded and made my lawn look awesome again...
We were sitting on my mom's back porch yesterday enjoying the post storm cool weather and I caught this shot on my phone. The thought crossed my mind how lucky I am to have my parents so close and how lucky my kids are to have a safe place like this to be.
I have it pretty good.
The thought also crossed my mind that it might be time for the binky to go….maybe…
The storm blew off a lot of my dad's peaches.
My mom gave the boys permission to pick up the now useless peaches and huck them over the fence.
What kid doesn't like hucking stuff into a canyon???
Ok…another side note.
Colby had to huck something of himself over the fence yesterday too. It was not my favorite parenting moment and I was floored that I had to have this conversation with Colby yet again. In his defense, he was only three when we had the discussion of public decency before. Maybe he didn't remember??? Why oh why oh why do little boys think it is ok to relieve themselves in anyway in nature? Why do little boys think it is too hard to walk 50 yards to an actual flushing toilet? Why do little boys have the moxy to drop their drawers and squat over a rock?
After the entire mortifying experience with cousins, aunts and uncles present I'm mostly grateful- after stewing on the experience for over 12 hours- that the leaves used to wipe his little rump were NOT poison oak or ivy; both of which grow near my parents home. He could have sore and itchy in some pretty tender areas.
Best quote of the ordeal? "Mom, at least you know I can survive in nature!"
Yes, Colby you can survive in nature, but you'll be lucky to survive living in our home to adulthood. Nature is going to be the least of your worries.
In addition to losing his dignity…Colby also lost another tooth yesterday.
This was only number 5.
(I love this kid, really I do. I just hope I can take what he has in store for me. He's got more life in his little finger than most kids have in their entire bodies. He's my wild card for sure.)
Other moments from this week...
When the rain did stop this week, we tried to play outside.
Grady has learned to take advantage all he can.
One of my best friends left for Alaska this week. Her family will be gone until next summer. They will be missed! My other friend Megan and I drove Susan and her two girls to Boise to catch their flight. They made it safe and the countdown to when they come home is now on!
Just to prove that not all my life is filled with sweetness and gooey happy moments, (even though yesterday that fact slapped me in the face) these two are struggling getting along and desperate times are calling for desperate disciplinary measures.
They stood like this for an hour earlier this week…an hour.
I mean business when I say no fighting and hopefully they now understand that.
No comments:
Post a Comment