Sunday, February 8, 2015

Colorblind

Saylor is colorblind.
The signs have been there for a while, but I wasn't positive.
She has in the past struggled with red/green/brown, blue/purple, and grey/pink.  She would just mix up the color or say the wrong name.  A person not susspecting it probably woudn't even notice and chalk it up to her young age.  The chances of a girl being colorblind are pretty slim statistic wise, but I am a carrier and Steve is colorblind.  Carter and Colby are also colorblind.  I could do the punnet squares and prove it…but just take my word for it, Saylor had a 50/50 chance of being colorblind.  So so sad.  

The other night I looked up colorblind tests for children online and then invited Saylor in to "play a game" with Colby and I.
She failed…oh so miserably.  She was at least as bad if not worse than Colby.

After all the fun games we played and after I knew she was colorblind, I gave her one last chance and showed her the above picture.  I asked her if these pictures looked different or the same.
She said, "Same."

I then asked her how many colors were in each picture.
She said, "Three.  Red, yellow (gold) and blue" and then pointed out the three colors in each picture.

My maternal grandmother was colorblind.  Her clothes always looked a little funny and her house was decorated…well, with funky colors.

I'm guessing I will have to help Saylor with clothing and decorating.  But in the scheme of things, colorblindness isn't a big deal. 
I've been following a family on instagram whose sweet tiny daughter was life-flighted to Primary Children's for DKA and who is now struggling with a brain injury because her blood sugar was so high.   My perspective has been put into place.  I'll take a little colorblindness any day over diabetes, seizures and brain injury.  

Don't worry Saylor, I will help you with color.  But don't ask Dad, he won't be able to help. 



No comments:

Post a Comment