Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Saturday

Two weeks ago Steve called from work and surprised me by telling me he thought we should go to Hawaii over Memorial Day.  I would have been crazy to say no.  Crazy Crazy.
He asked his mom to watch our kids and booked the trip.  We left Friday morning, had lunch in Boise and caught our flight mid afternoon.  After a two hour layover in Seattle and a six hour flight to Maui, we landed around 9:30 pm.  
After rental car pickup, grocery store trip, hour drive to the west side of the island and room check in,  we arrived at our room close to midnight.  We were beat.  
But we woke up bright and early Saturday morning to this view out of our hotel room.
The view from to the left.

View to the right.
Not too shabby!

We ate breakfast and decided to explore where we were.

Sorry Steve..had to include this.
These beautiful flowers littered the grounds at the resort.


We walked around the hotel grounds and the beach line surrounding the Napili Bay on the west side of Maui.  This is a self portrait from the east side of the bay.

Portrait from the west side…with view from where we took our picture on the east.

And yes…Steve brought his GoPro camera on a selfie stick.  It came in handy many times so NO mocking.

After exploring the bay we decided to go for a drive in Steve's rental car pick of choice-his bright red convertible Camero.
(Confession:  I have a hard time just saying Camero.  I always in my head evilly think a swear word in front of the word Camero.  It rhymes with itchin'…and starts with a B.  And I wonder why Colby has been know to swear on the slight occasion.)

The Itchin' Camero.  
(For the record-  extremely fun to have on vacation, wouldn't ever own one.  It's at its best with the top down.  Huge car to have to park.  Next time I told Steve we are renting a convertible Beetle instead.  I think he cried a little inside.)

We drove down to Whalers Village and walked around which led to sitting down to an early lunch.
Best fish lettuce wraps ever.  I made Steve eat at the same restaurant I ate at when I was in Hawaii in January.  This was my favorite meal then and it didn't disappoint the second time either.  I think I could eat this every day and never get sick of it. 

After filling ourselves to the sick point, we got back in the "insert swear word here" Camero and did some more topless driving.  (As you can in the pictures…the car is topless…we are not.)

Steve had this all planned out from the start.  He had the perfect idea to have pictures taken while driving with the GoPro.  This man is a planner I tell you!

We spent some time at the beach Saturday afternoon too.
It was right outside our hotel room.
Steve enjoyed the waves.

I enjoyed sitting in the sun.

Sadly, Saturday afternoon Carter had a bad diabetes day.  Two infusion set failures mixed in with some really high numbers and ketones.  My mom came and took Carter to her house (she more versed in diabetes care) while Steve's mom kept the other four.  I think Carter was sad to leave his siblings, but I know he LOVED the special treatment he got from my parents one on one.  My mom graciously tested Carter's blood sugar hourly until late into the evening and made sure he came down to safe levels.  I wrung my hands and cried in the hotel room feeling completely out of control.  Vacations are fun…but really hard with a diabetic child.  I can leave home, but I never mentally leave home.  My brain is always in diabetes mode if Steve and I are gone together.  Plus, I feel so much anxiety putting the responsibility of diabetes on Steve's or my parents.  It's a lot to put on someones plate.  Steve and I are both so grateful for out parents and their willingness to help out and let us get away together once in a blue moon.  We are very fortunate to have such wonderful parents.

Saturday night we drove to a few hole in the wall restaurants and got take out.  We ate in our room and watched Netflix on the IPad and then watched the sunset around 7pm.  I was in bed by 8pm.  A four hour time difference kicked this girls trash.

Last tidbit for Saturday.
One more reason I LOVE Hawaii.  They sell Diet Coke in these HUGE cans.  It's bliss I tell 'ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment