Monday, February 21, 2011

whining

I have to admit, I've been in the middle of a rut the last two weeks...the blues...a funk...down right witchy (if you are my spouse, you have full permission to replace that w with a b, I know I deserve it.)  Blame the weather, blame the mass quantities of brownies I have eaten, blame the alignment of the stars, blame whomever, but I'm waist deep in a pool of my own self pity these days.

It's getting ridiculous.  I've cried almost everyday in the last two weeks and extra on Sundays.  I struggle on Sundays.

Life is cyclic and just like everything else in the universe, I'm following the natural cycle of being up and then down.  My downs are few and far between, but when they come they are mean and deep.   And the deepness can be sticky and hard to climb out of.

The littlest of things has set me into a weeping-bitching fit.   Such as, my husband just mentioning my church music calling yesterday.  I wanted to crawl back into bed and not come out until my release date is announced.  (sounds more like prison sentence than a church calling...feels like one too)  It would be unladylike of me to expound on this one, idol gossip too...so I'll stop on this subject while the stopping's good.  But let me tell you 2 1/2 callings is way more than this mother of four can handle at the moment.   And...I fully realize I just gave up any blessings in heaven by writing this, but for the moment, a laminate floor in my heavenly mansion is a-o-k with this sinner.  Hand scrapped mahogany is overrated and hard to clean anyways.

I'm also struggling with the unknown and soon to be expected.  This is the first year I am in charge of my boys' elementary school science fair.  I'm overwhelmed with what I need to accomplish in the next three weeks, and some of the items on my "check off" list are just too daunting.  Such as, the ominous phrase of "contact the media"- this is killing me.  Things that are outside of my comfort zone, indeed make me stronger, but are really really difficult for me to tackle.  I don't like trying new things-plain and simple.  I keep telling myself that next year will be easier and that I just need to make it through the next three weeks.

...just keep swimming, just keep swimming.

And if the Times News doesn't hear about the science fair this year, I could really give a whip.

But I'm tired of feeling this way.  I'm ready for a little happy.  I'm ready for a morning when my regular routine seems fun again.  I'm ready for a day when my biggest joy isn't the pint of 340 calorie per serving ice cream.  I'm ready to feel like me again-14 or so days of not being me isn't so swell.  I'm ready.

And if I have to go to a tanning bed (so morally against it), take mass quantities of vitamin D or run three miles in 20 degree weather to find me again, I'm going to do it.



However, I did find $22 in the dryer and I organized the boys room today...so maybe things are looking up.


...now off to my little 340 calorie place of happiness.   I think I'm ready to downsize to a little spoon tonight.  Yep...things are looking up.

That, and the ladle is dirty in the dishwasher.

7 comments:

  1. So sorry you feel so rotten...we all have those days (and weeks). But your explanation of it made me smile...you are too funny! Hope things look brighter for you today! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Hour on me today! Oh I'm so ready for my life after the wild and crazy weekend I had!! I did go running this AM and it was great but it wasnt 3 miles! It was just around the block!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill - I love you and your honesty about life. I'm right there with you. January and February are torture for me. My husband even had the nerve to suggest medication. He paid the price for that comment. I feel the same way about my Ward Historian calling. Really? Ward Historian? It sounds like a made-up calling, and I already have another calling, and really? I'll stop there, before it gets ugly, but yeah, they can't release me soon enough from that one. I have one less child than you, no diabetic child to care for, and no science fair to worry about, so...I'd say you're doing pretty darn well. I started running again last week, and I have to admit it does wonders for my attitude and ability to cope with the day. But ice cream doesn't hurt either (except when I'm trying to get it off my thighs!) Good luck, hopefully the funk is short-lived, but just know you're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on Sundays. I'm not sure why, but Sundays are especially hard for me. They have been for a long time so I can sympathize with you. I love your honesty. And you know what? 340 calories per serving is just sometimes worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to read the comments and see if someone really has the answer to this... but I actually have no advise for you! I want an answer too.
    This is not an answer- but an analysis...I think people who are over achievers (yes, I am calling you this) and have perfectionist tendencies (yes, I am calling you this) struggle a lot because its like not enough self fulfilling things to do feels terrible because you feel feel like you aren't achieving... let alone OVER-achieving (which is what one thinks makes them happy) and if you have taken on too much you aren't happy because you can't be PERFECT at it all like you SO SO want to be. I find myself in the middle of this cycle A LOT- and sometimes I have to just sit and say to myself... ok Katy, what do you really really really want in life. What job? what sort of solitude? What type of life? Questions like that, and I can't think of something else that I would rather have- I would pick the life I have over and over- so then I just have to realize that I am somehow perpetuating my own unhappiness in this life I would choose for myself by trying to be too much or do it too perfectly or I am giving the value to changing diapers, medicating children, keeping things clean, and making muffins- like they deserve to be given. I hate pregnancy because I feel like I can't even attempt OVER achievement and I am too tired to be perfect and because laziness and 'just getting by' doesn't make me happy then well, I'm stuck... in a rut, just like you feel now.
    Didn't you just stop nursing?? besides being sad about that- you might be shifting hormone balances etc. Not that it helps to know that- to be honest blaming my hormones only makes me feel like I am more out of control... less perfect...etc.
    Ok, enough... know that you aren't crazy and that 2 streets over I am waking up every single day of my life wondering if I can beat my chemicals and the pressure I put on myself each day... my Dad is convinced that 'bearing children in sorrow' doesn't just refer to labor pains- that it is motherhood and the life that goes with it and the way our brains are affected chemically and our self worth... etc. Makes sense- if you get any good answers please forward them to me.
    P.S. you are more competent than every person at KMVT or the Times News (have you seen their broadcasts and articles??) Nothing intimidating there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is there a giveaway for longest comment?

    Sorry, I guess you could say I relate to being in a 'funk' and obviously have a lot to say about it.

    I only wish I could do my own 'funk' post, because I imagine this was really liberating

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jill, re: science fair: please let me help. I am serious. I am going to call and insist unless you call me first. I really will help, it's not just talking smack.

    ReplyDelete