Steve had the afternoon off today, so duh...he took his hungry pregnant wife to lunch. We went to the sandwich shop downtown. (yes...again) The place was a zoo, but the food was well worth waiting for. While we were waiting, we people watched from our safe corner table. I had to laugh how one certain couple was obviously overly annoyed how long their food was taking. They were oblivious to the at least 10 tables who ordered before them who didn't have their food either. Steve and I laughed every time the girl looked huffingly at the man working at the counter...like staring gaunt-like (and I use this term loosely if you get my drift) is going to get your food to come faster. I think I found my new afternoon entertainment stop. I will go to this place at the busiest time, and see how many people pout when it takes too long to get their order. Impatient people are hilarious!
Here's what my gluten free sandwich looks like.
Yes...it is amazing.
(I am bread starved.)
Also while we were waiting for our food, I looked at the artwork hanging in the shop and had to take a picture of this. The Paris was a fancy-shmancy clothing store that my Grandma Walker liked to visit when she was here in Twin. The store workers knew her well enough that I remember her taking clothes home on loan to try them on again and decide. Oh, the good old days when people were trusted. This store is no longer there...it is now the sandwich shop.
This picture made me miss my grandmother...and her shopping addiction...and her smell of cinnamon gum.
This flier was also hanging on the wall in the sandwich shop.
Steve and I are closet fans of the movie "Whip it" (I am slightly ashamed to admit this), and my once unattainable dreams of becoming a derby girl after watching the movie can now become a reality!!!
It specifically says "All sizes, shapes, and fitness levels welcome" - do you think they would want a chubby pregnant lady with absolutely no skating skills?
I think I really only want the cool name.
I have come up with a few...
"The Dixon Vixon" (of course)
"The Glutenator"
"Old Lady Dixon"
"Baby on Wheels"
I also have a few more, but they might not be appropriate for a family blog.
If you notice, only one of the tags on the flier was taken...Steve ripped it off just to give "Don't-Call-Me-Shirly" and "The Vegescarian" false hope. We're just cruel enough to do stuff like that.
We could start our very own pregnant derby girls club!! I will start working on my name. Oh, imagine the possiblities! Lol
ReplyDeleteI seriously thought I had "arrived" when my mom took me Prom Dress shopping at 'The Paris' in Pocatello. For the same reason as you! My classy Grandma thought The Paris was the height of luxury & fashion:)
ReplyDeleteOn a different note,
I cannot believe I just googled this, but I found a master list of Roller Derby names:
http://www.twoevils.org/rollergirls/
WOW! Some are hilarious. And some are somewhat explicitly educational...