Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Blissfully Normal

Things around here have been business as usual.  Nothing exciting or noteworthy, but happy and regular just the same.  Does that make sense at all?  Can I be happy with the humdrum of everyday life...um, yes.

Here is a recap of the boringly normal things my kids have been up to in the last week...

Andrew:  This boy is busier than he has ever been.  Homework sports and music keep him hopping on a regular basis.  The bane of his existence has been an online computer class that is causing him and both his parents stress.  Why is the silliest most fluffy filler class (yes I wrote that...I think the class is worthless after reading the material Andrew is being asked to digest and regurgitate) taking up most of this kid's time?  I'm oh-so grateful this class is only for one quarter.  I will happily take (any) passing grade from this class and move on, never looking back.  We will also be more careful about which classes Andrew chooses for electives in the future.  I mean really, the boy is taking three AP classes and passing them with flying colors, but can't hack an online life success course.  Uh...something doesn't make sense.

Carter:  I should rename this kid "Smiles with a Lancet."  He is a third grade rock star.  He is loving school, managing most of his diabetes by himself and doing it all while smiling.  (Except when we told him he can't have an ipod until he is twelve.  That brought tears to his eyes.  I might recant that rule for smiley boy.)  Carter is also doing great in guitar and this past week has made a goal to surpass his teacher's practice time.  I talked to her earlier this week...and he's going to make his goal.

Colby, aka, Ladies Man and Defender of all Women:   Luckily, Carter and Colby's lunch periods overlap and I get to see both my elementary men everyday at lunch.  It's killing me how little girls flock around my sweet innocent (maybe not so innocent) 1st grader.  Girls come out of the woodwork to say hello to Colby and tell him where they will be a recess.  I think I might need to stay for recess to see what is really going on!   Interestingly enough, today at lunch I got a killer story from the ground teacher Marcy.  A little boy came up to her yesterday crying that another little boy kicked him in the...how do I put this delicately...tenders.  When this little boy pointed at Colby as the official field goal kicker, Marcy was shocked.  Little sweet faced Colby?  Colby fessed up to the deed with pride and pronounced the jewel kicking in the name of his (girl) friend's honor- anything to keep a bully from bugging his sweet Bailey.  Marcy said she couldn't even get mad at Colby...she just stared at him in disbelief.  (Those brown eye of his are bewitching.)  He has since had a talking to from Marcy, his teacher and myself.   EVEN if someone is bugging a girl...you CANNOT kick them where it counts.  You MUST go to a ground teacher for all injustices in the playground world.  (I always knew Colby of all my boys would be the first to end up in the principals office.  We came awfully close yesterday.)  Heaven help me with this sweet boy.

Saylor:  Princess of the House is same as always.  She loves her Little People play house, her baby dolls and all things Dora or Diego.  She is girly through and through and often asks if we are taking her "stroller-ride" to the mall.  (We may have been three times in the last year, and still it is her favorite place to go.  Just wait until I show her what a REAL mall looks like!)  She calls her brothers "Her Boys" and even prays for them in that way.  The last couple of days, she has asked for Steve to comb her hair like "Her Boys" in the morning before school.  Steve to oblige Her Highness,  gave her a deep part on the right side and then pulled all her hair back into a low ponytail.  She loved it.  I have to laugh because that deep part truly made her look like one of the Dixon boys...it showed off her Dixon forehead.  I'm secretly hoping this next Dixon baby is a sister for Saylor.  We need another princess to help Saylor have a little less authority in our home.   She is not bratty or snotty in anyway, don't get me wrong, she is very very sweet.  However, she walks around the house with an air of superiority, "I need my chocolate milk in a sippy cup please."  Silly silly girl.

1 comment:

  1. The Colby story cracks me up! Defender of his girlfriends until the bitter end...or principal's office. Whichever comes first. At least he knows how to treat a woman right. His future wife will cherish this story. :)

    ReplyDelete