I walked into the upstairs kids bathroom (it's now deemed Grady's even though he is obviously not using it) and a Beanie Baby monkey was hanging by it's tail.
I'm guessing Colby did that because that is something Colby would do. I looked at the monkey and thought to myself..."That's how I feel!" I'm hanging in there but at the same time not getting a whole lot accomplished as accomplishments go...but still having a fun time doing nothing.
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah.
So here is a list of "nothing" that we have been doing.
We finally, after living here almost five years, decided it was time to do something about our hideous flower beds on the west side of the house. The soil was poor, the plants (ok plant. everything else died) looked sad, and our neighbors beautifully landscaped yard made us feel a tad bit guilty. Steve dug out all the clay like soil, put in a metal edging and filled the beds with top soil and bagged manure. (yummy)
We then picked out a few grasses and day lilies that we liked and finished flower beds. I love when a project is finished and hard work pays off. Steve bought enough metal edging to finish the edges around the east and back side of the house too. He said he will do them after next week. I'm happy and hopefully can keep the new plants alive.
My dream is to have my side yard look as fun as my front yard.
Took this a few days ago.
I figured if I ever wanted to sell my house, (ha ha) I might as well have a picture of it when the flower beds look happy.
Saturday night I deemed our neighborhood Camelot as we enjoyed a neighbor hood BBQ and late night party. The kids played, threw water balloons and snuck cookies all night. The parents visited and ignored our children. It was wonderful. The night was finished off with a projected movie on the side of our neighbor's house. Half the kids were asleep half way through, but its summer and summer is fun like that. I love where we live. It's blissful.
Our "grumpy old man" neighbor George and his darling wife Sarah are both in their 90's and have been self sufficient until just recently. It came to our attention that George health has been declining and the condition of their home has been deteriorating. George also has fallen multiple times in the last weeks. Multiple as in three or four times a day. Steve, along with many of our other neighbors has gone into their home and helped him get up after each fall. We as a neighborhood have also been bringing in dinners to help out. Saturday night, George was so weak, he was taken to the hospital. Our neighborhood is doing what we can to help this elderly couple. Steve and I have talked freely about the situation in front of our kids. We may have traumatized them. Carter was very serious in the car the other day and admitted that he didn't want to get old...me either Carter, me either.
Andrew got braces last week. He looks even more like a teenager now. He lived off ibuprofen and Tylenol for three days. He also somehow conned us into buying him a pineapple mango smoothie almost every day. We are suckers for a a kid in mouth pain. He hasn't let me take pictures yet, but his braces are blue and look gnarly like all mouths that have just had braces put on...crooked and crazy still.
Taken right before his appointment. He's got the ruler-closed-lip smile down already.
Colby played "I'm a Child of God" on his violin in sacrament meeting yesterday. I was so proud of him. He wasn't nervous or anything. He just walked up and played his song like it was the easiest thing in the world. This boy has more determination and pure character then I could possibly imagine in a seven year old with half my nervous-ninny genetics. Love that boy...love him.
Saylor asked me a few days ago why I still had a baby in my tummy, that and she has picked up the word "ugly" and has started to use it quite often. Ugly is an ugly word. I'm hoping this is a short phase she is going through.
I spent my morning and afternoon today baking gluten free and gluten filled treats to take on a mini vacation this weekend. I have a stomach ache from all the tasting. It was necessary to make sure nothing was secretly poisoned while I wasn't looking before I served it to my friends.
I'm generous like that.
I made snicker doodle cookies gluten free. This is one of those cookies that doesn't have peanut butter or chocolate to cover the "whang" of a taste that most gluten free flours have. I added vanilla and a little orange extract. They looked perfect (looking not gluten free is half the battle) but I'm not so sure about the orange mixed with the gluten free aftertaste. I might have to make another batch and try lemon zest this time. Bummer...more cookies. :)
(Oh...reminder to myself: for the snicker doodles, 1 1/2 cup maninis flour, 1 1//4 domata)
No comments:
Post a Comment