I tried again tonight.
After a year of abstaining from pie baking I figured I had better try again.
I thought I would go easy with a pumpkin pie...that way I wouldn't have to put a crust on top.
It's my grandmother's recipe.
It's amazing, as is my grandmother.
For heaven's sake, I can shop like this woman, why can't I make pies like this woman?
Apparently shopping and pie baking are two entirely different entities.
I had to make two batches of crust.
My first one wouldn't roll out without splitting.
GRRR.
My second batch turned out better.
It actually made it into the pie pan.
I carefully mixed the filling and added it oh so carefully not to spill any on the crust.
It looks prettier this way.
It cooked for almost an hour and a half.
It looked pretty good for my standards.
BUT...
when cut into, the bottom crust was as soggy as the day is long and there was a definite- oh you can taste it- eggy layer that had separated from the filling.
Now I'm just mad.
I just spent a hour looking up pie recipes on the internet.
I'm sorry Grandma really I am.
I'm going to try out Paula Dean's recipe instead with Alton Brown's crust.
Please forgive me.
Here are my 2cents on pie making madness...
ReplyDeleteYou live less than a mile from Mom...why the crap are you trying to make pies?
On a more serious note, when you figure out how to make the perfect pie, let me know. Mine leave a lot to be desired, even after Ms. Marie Calender, my freezer section friend, does the crust work for me. I do place a very meticulous decorated edge with my thumb and two pointer fingers. :)
Remeber the story of your Dad volunteering me to make 4 pies for a Miss Twin Falls lucheon and they specified that they had to be homemade. Well I purched frozen pies...transfered them to my pie pans, let them thaw just enough to reshape the edges and middle holes. Baked those babies and sent them on. When the pans were returned I was informed that my pies were the best ones there. I just smiled and said, "I'm so glad you enjoyed them."
ReplyDeleteoh come on Jill...for as many things you cook to perfection it's nice to know you have one thing once and a while that doesn't turn out...especially for those of us who have only one or two things that DO turn out. ha ha ha You're an amazing cook...I salivate just thinking about your maple frosting over scones....sad sad sad thinking how long it's been since I've sunk my teeth into those bad boys. I miss you and your food!!!
ReplyDelete