Saturday, October 9, 2010

the train

Rewind ten years ago.  
Steve and I were expecting our first child- a boy.
We were thrilled.

And we bought him a wooden toy train.
Because trains are manly and cool...and because my dad collects toy trains and we thought maybe if we sucked up enough we could inherit a few of those bad-boys one day.
(love ya Dad)

When this little bundle of joy was eight months old we had his picture taken with the toy train.
(because ten years ago it was trendy and stuff to dress up your kids and get their picture taken with random props and hud)

Fast forward four years from then.
Another little boy and his picture with the toy train.

Fast forward 2 1/2 years from that date and boy number three gets his picture taken with the train too.

  Now recalibrate your thinking and go back to about a year and a half ago.
We were expecting our fourth child and a very early ultrasound predicted boy number four.

I was excited!
His name was going to be Beck Walker Dixon and he too was going to have his picture at eight months taken in the same overalls and toy train.

But as fate had it, that baby was indeed NOT a boy and Saylor Kate Dixon came into the world.
What was an overall owning mother to do?
A girl can NOT wear boy overalls to get her picture taken.
Luckily my super Aunt Char came to the rescue and found Saylor her very own PINK set of overalls.
Super Aunts are just like that you know.

And Saylor got her picture taken with the train, just like her three older brothers.
(But she is actually a month older that the boys were in the pictures.  I have four children and the fact I got these pictures taken is all is a miracle.)

SO BEHOLD- the train pictures.
(for those of you who have children that are all under the age of six- no mocking I mean it. There were NOT digital pictures WAY back when- and the boys' pictures are just scans of the prints.
Prints you might ask...what are those?  Well, back in the stone age of parenting, you actually got a picture to take home in your hot little hand after you dressed up your child and spent an hour sweating trying to get that kid to smile for just the right shot.  No CD, no digital image, no editing, no nothing.)

Can you guess which child is which?
Hint:  Saylor is the one in the pink holding the train ever so girly as if to say, "What in the heck am I supposed to do with this?"











So Dad...can I pick out my inheritance now?

2 comments:

  1. it turned out so cute Jill! I love it! Good job Say Say!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha! I did the same thing with Jada in a blue-striped outfit that I had all the boys wear...I did put a flower in her hair. At least Saylor looks girl-y holding that train! I hope you are feeling better :( I still have your tupperware from your delicious icecream. I will return them when I think of something delicious to return to you in them....but nothing is coming to mind right now except for ice cream I don't know how to make.

    ReplyDelete