To save my sanity, we've made a family rule that kids can have friend parties when they are 5, 8, 12 and 16. (Please don't tell Colby because we totally skipped his 5 year old one.) We threw Andrew a party for the big 12 this last Thursday night. There were 10 not so little friends in attendance (or maybe more...I lost count). We fed them pizza, ice cream sundaes, sugary soda and popcorn. They ran around the house playing games and throwing water on each other, opened presents, and then when it was dark enough we showed a movie on the side of the house. I'm so happy they were quiet enough that our neighbors didn't call the police...it got a little crazy at times. I'm also relieved nobody got sick from the junk food they consumed. I'm amazed at the strength of 12 year old stomachs.
I didn't take many pictures like I should have, but this one I'm very grateful to have snapped.
Yep...that is a bunch of almost seventh graders watching Dora to make Saylor happy. We had Dora on to get the projector set up and centered. Saylor thought it was the coolest thing ever and the boys all went along with it. It think this sums up what caliber of boys Andrew has for friends. They are wonderful kids. (And I'll try not to blackmail them later in life with this picture.)
Andrew's party was just a small portion of what went on this week. For instance, our Acadia is still in the shop getting a new transmission. We hope we have it back by the end of this week. I'm grateful to have two vehicles still and have been just fine driving our '98 Honda Accord with four kids packed in like sardines. The Land Cruiser has been hot for Steve though and he has expressed his wish to have the Honda back for trips to Hagerman and Shoshone. He misses the AC. I miss being able to put our entire family in one car. As busy as we have been, we have not gone together as a family to anything besides church for the last two weeks.
Friday night Steve and I went out with the Wards and had a babysitter watch our combined children at our house. Andrew was gone on a scout camp out and missed out. While the kids stayed home, the adults went to dinner and the Borne Legacy movie. I'm surprised at the PG-13 rating this movie received as it had to be one of the most violent movies I have ever seen. It didn't show gore, but people were killed all over the place. I've decided I don't need these types of movies in my life and despise the extra unneeded stress they cause for the two hours I'm watching them. And I must admit, after the recent movie shooting in Colorado, I couldn't help look at the emergency exit in a different light as the sounds of movie gunfire was all around me. It made me wish another Jane Austin movie would be made soon. Those kind of movies I can handle.
Saturday night our neighborhood had it's second annual block party. There was food, water games, outdoor movies and lots of fun. I love our neighborhood and am grateful for the good people we live by. As I watched our children run and play last night, I couldn't help but think they were living a picture perfect childhood...the kind Normal Rockwell would paint about. I hope one day they realize how good they have it. It put life into perspective and made me think about what is really important. I should worry less about things that don't matter and focus more on my family and friends.
Boooooo about your Acadia!! You do live in the best neighborhood ever!!! Sure miss it!! Oh AND looks like you may have a new neighbor too!! Our old home owner got a job based back out of Twin and is moving back!! I'm sure he's going to do everything possible to get back into the house before the lease is up....even if he has to buy them out....book for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteHow cool of those kids to let Saylor watch Dora. It does speak so highly of the caliber of Andrew's friends!
ReplyDelete