Tuesday, April 30, 2013

hair today-gone tomorrow

There are so many titles I could have named this post.  They are, but not limited to...Beauticians-R-Us, Colby Scissorhands, Why Moms Should Never Try and Feed a Baby in Privacy, What Were You Thinking?, and I'm So Happy I Didn't Strangle My Seven Year Old.

But no matter what the title, it doesn't change the fact that Colby cut Saylor's hair yesterday afternoon.
I was feeding Grady in my room, Carter was outside riding his bike, Andrew was at track practice...so that left Colby and Saylor to their own devices.
They were playing happily and quietly.  It's the quietly that I should have been more wary of.

I didn't find out about the cut until Saylor came into my room to tattle that Colby was trying to cut my flip-flops.  (why she didn't tattle about her hair is a mystery)  I was changing Grady's diaper by then and wasn't looking up...I just hollered to Colby to put the scissors away.
They I looked at Saylor.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I asked if she cut her hair (in a slightly screaming slightly crying voice).  
"No Mom, Colby did."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

As I surveyed Saylor's hair it was obvious Colby has had no previous experience in the art of cutting hair and should NEVER be allowed close to hair with scissors again.
(he's only seven...what do I expect)

In a very frantic voice I asked Colby why he would cut his sister's hair.
Through his own teary scared eyes (mom crying is much much worse than mom yelling) Colby confessed, "I just wanted the hair out of her eyes!"
Saylor had been in a ponytail all day in the wind.  All of her wispy hairs had come out of the pony and where framing her face and falling into her eyes.  Colby cut them all. 

He then cut 2 inches off her ponytail.
I asked where the hair was that he cut off.  (By then I was on the phone with my mother and still crying.)  He told me it was in the bathroom garbage.

 When I opened the cupboard and saw the amount of hair...I might have said a very small swear word.
I then told my mom over the phone that there was a dead cat in the garbage describing the hairball.
Saylor got really excited and exclaimed she wanted to see the dead cat...more than once.
(I need to be more careful with my words and sarcasm in front of her.  oops.)

My mom was kind enough to call a friend of hers that cuts hair out of her home.  She agreed to "fix" Saylors hair right then.
Andrew arrived home from track and was left in charge of Carter and the guilty child.

 Don't let this face fool you.
He is pure evil...ok...he's cute and wonderful, but still guilty of crimes against hair.

We snapped a few more pictures of the damage, packed up a freshly fed Grady and headed out the door.
Surprisingly, Saylor was not upset at all by her scalping.  She tried to comfort me in my time of crisis.  She over and over said to me while waving her hand in true Say Say fashion, "It's only hair.  It will grow back!"  Thank you Saylor for being the voice of reason when if anyone should have been freaking out, it should have been you.


 Saylor was super good for Debbie and a stood still for her "real" haircut.
(by then she had some practice)
Debbie, my mom and I decided that because we didn't want to cut all her hair off and because most of the damage was around her face, we could give her long layers in the back to mask the damage of the severed ponytail...and invest in headbands...lots and lots of headbands.  They will cover the stubble around her forehead, temples, ears and neck.  

 Debbie was even generous enough to donate the first headband.
Thanks to Debbie Bingham and my mom for talking me through my first (and hopefully last) hair raising experience.  It could have been much much worse.
On the way home, Saylor and I stopped and bought a vanilla milkshake for Say and a diet coke for me.
We are emotional drinkers.


When we got home, I washed, dried and curled Saylors hair to see how it was all going to work.

 Debbie did a wonderful job and I'm very pleased with the results.
Say is going to rock these headbands.

 I think it is fair to say that her hair is still beautiful.
Much different...but still beautiful.
(I am crying over the loss of her double braids in the back.  I loved her Little House on the Prarie look.)

 The drive home and diet coke helped me come up with a sufficient punishment for my Colby Colbs.

#1 He had to pay me back for the haircut.
#2 He had to donate $10 to Saylor's headband fund.

He cried at first over the loss of his birthday money...but then counted out the cash and handed it over.
He knew he had no choice.

Today I'm over the shock, but still a little sad over the one inch wide almost shaved section all around Saylor's face.  Most of Colby's cuts were right to the scalp.  
...but I'm trying to laugh about the situation.  Most families I know have one or two hair cutting experiences.
I for one cut my own hair on the kitchen table when I was about four. (I think)  My mom was cutting my hair and put the scissors down to answer the phone.  My dad was reading books with my sister in the next room.  I called out to my dad, "Look Dad!  I can cut my own hair!"  He of course said something like, "That's great Jill" and continued his attention on my sister.  He's only one person for heavens sake!  When my mom came back...I'm sure my fun was over.  I've blocked out the memory after that.  
 The next time I cut hair it belonged to my Grandma Walker's cat.  I told her I thought the cat looked too hot and needed a trim.
I fully admit I ruined that cat.  She looked hideous.
I have never cut hair again.
(And Colby better not either!)


1 comment:

  1. First, I was horrified!
    But she is still cute, cute, cute!
    And the layers in the back look beautiful.
    I am glad you survived this...

    ReplyDelete