Saturday, April 20, 2013

the art of manipulation

At the tender age of 3 1/2,  Saylor has the art of manipulation down to a science.
It's scary how good she is.
She should teach classes.
I wonder if it comes from being (almost) the youngest and having two X chromosomes.  That little extra DNA compared to her brothers must give her the competitive edge.
She's good...really good.

Here she is in action.
I'll break it down step by step for those in the family who aren't lucky enough to have the genetic predisposition to mooch.

 Step 1:
Ask Mom.  
"Oh Mom, this tiger is so cute.  Oh he LOVES me.  He wants me to take him home with me.  Can we buy him mom?  Please???"
(Do we really need to go into my answer?  It's pretty obvious what I said.  I too have XX for my genetic makeup and know how to fight her abilities.)

 Step 2:
Ask Dad.
Make sure you engage him with your deep brown eyes and ask in the sweetest voice.
Do NOT break eye contact with said dad as you ask...
"Dad, can we buy this tiger?  Oh Dad, he is so cute and he wants me to take him home with him.  He loves me dad.  Can I have him?  Please?"
Make sure you pet stuffed tiger while talking.  It shows commitment and adoration for the toy you profess to love now, but will end up lost and underneath your bed by tomorrow morning.

 After pleading your case...look away innocently.
Make sure you continue to mumble about how much you and the tiger love each other....it's more convincing this way.

 When your victim mistakenly reaches for his wallet...look away completely, but still stroke the tiger lovingly.
If you stare at him while he gets out money, it makes you look greedy.  Keep the innocence near the surface by leaning closer to the one you just mooched.  It creates the illusion of loyalty and gratitude.

 Step 3:
Give Dad the cutest  thankful face known to mankind.
It temporarily blinds him to the fact he was just suckered our of $11.99.

 Step 4:
Try not to act too smug around the older brother who is getting squat.

 Step 5:
Enjoy your spoils.
You worked hard and deserve to enjoy your effort.

This chick is amazing at getting what she wants from her father.  As I type this post, she came home from Lowes with a new pair of pink princess work gloves...like she is really going to work with them.
I think for our checkbook's sake, Saylor needs to stay home with me from now on when Steve is going to any place money can be spent.




Here are a few pictures of the non-moochy kids.
They had to do something besides perfect their craft of blowing our budget on stuffed animals.

 Baby presents can come in handy...at least the bags can.
Once again, why do I buy toys?

 Grady decided to tease me with sleep the other night.  I slept for four hours straight for the first time in a month.  It was bliss.
Last night he was up every two again.
Good think he is so handsome, or I would have to be mad.

The Mooch and Colby both have colds.  
Yesterday they spent their day watching Netfix together in the glider in Grady's room.  I walked in and found them both asleep.  They have been given strict instructions to stay away from Grady and watch as much tv as they feel up too.  
(I'm trying to survive here...no judgements please.)

Non-pictured is Andrew.
After track yesterday he went to a friends house for a late-over birthday party.
Poor kid was one of the only ones not allowed to spend the night.  We might be suckers for a three year old girls, but 12 year old boys and sleep overs have no power over us.
He came home happy and hopped up on caffeine and sugar around 11 pm.
I'm not sure the combo of teenagers and babies is a good one...Steve and I might never sleep again.



1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious! I know a little girl at my own house that this is so very spot on for as well. She can weasel almost anything out of her daddy, as evidenced by the pile of toys in her room. And the fact that she gets popsicles (and almost as many as she wants) any time she asks. There are worse things, I suppose. :) Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete