Saturday, October 2, 2010

1st grade field trip

Yesterday, Carter's first grade class was invited to Giltners' Dairy for an afternoon field trip.
...and because I'm the only one that can run an insulin pump; Saylor, Colby and I were invited too.
(we'll take all the diabetes perks we can get.)

And as we were riding the hot, noisy, first grader filled bus to the dairy, Colby turned to me with the biggest smile on his face and said, "Mom, aren't we having the best time?"
(we don't get out much...can 'ya tell?)

Here Carter's class is learning all about how the "cow temperature" milk gets cooled super quick into chilly 38 degree "fridge temperature" milk.
Most of the speech went WAY over the six year olds' heads.  Their faces tell the whole story.
I laughed inside.
...like a six year old really understands the Fahrenheit scale and microbial growth.

Here Carter is feeding a hungry calf.
(I was carrying a heavy diaper bag and and even heavier Saylor in 90 degree weather.  Walking around to the other side to get a good picture -all the while with Colby clinging to my legs because the "cows are scary"- was obviously too much work.  I'm hoping his teacher's pictures turn out better.)

 Now having guilt because I moved over when it was Colby's turn.
(The calves were starving and none of the kids knew to lift the bottle up.  I hope they fed the calves for real after we left.)

 What do you feed kids after they see how cows are milked for real?
Cookies and Milk of course!

(But after seeing it all first hand...I'm not sure I want to drink milk for a while.  
Please pass the Crystal Light.)

White Milk:  15 carbs.
Loft House Frosted Cookie:  29 carbs.
(please kill me)


 Real stinky cows.

 A real non-stinky Saylor.


A really tired Colby sleeping on the bus.
(There was actually slobber.)

Cows make you tired.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have been with you. You are a trooper Jill. What a fun day for all four of you.

    ReplyDelete