I felt really old last night.
I took Andrew shopping for a new swimsuit (the need was dire) last night and he requested his favorite clothing store, American Eagle.
We ended up perusing the sales racks and I had Andrew try on a few shirts and pants in addition to a much needed suit.
I felt a sensation I have never experienced before in a store...I DID NOT belong. Nothing there appealed to my liking for myself and the clothes were not those for little children in which I have been purchasing for more than a decade. I was in a teenager store and I was intruding on teenagery space. Even the sales people (sales children) made me uncomfortable. The generation gap between them and me could have been the Grand Canyon for how I felt.
I don't have adolescent acne, sweaty armpits and greasy hair. I won't wear off the shoulder 80's shirts that have sadly come back in style, I think $12 is an atrocious price for a pair of underwear, and I wish I could have punched out my eardrums because the music playing was absolutely awful.
I'm old...and I felt creepy (lots of creepiness around here lately) hanging around why my son tried on clothing.
I'm sure that had nothing to do with me holding the camera ready so I could get a shot of him before he protested after he came out of the dressing room. ...because that isn't creepy at all.
However, no matter how out of place I was or felt, I was the one paying...so I had to be there invading my son's teenage world. I'll take what I can get while he'll still tolerate my presence. Having money to buy him clothing goes a long way.
I did learn something new about my oldest child. He really likes to shop for clothes...but not in a women's (aka old lady) store. He wouldn't even walk into stores that didn't have clothing for him. He acted like they were infested with lice and leprosy, along with a large dose of cholera and plague.
This snobbery coming from a boy who may or may not be picking his nose is a little high and mighty if you ask me.
All old lady feelings on the back burner...I'm grateful I don't want or have to shop in these stores anymore. Any store that calls a pair of pants tiny enough to fit a barbie doll a size 4 is a store that doesn't need my money. I prefer the stores that "alter" their sizes to make me feel better about myself!
No comments:
Post a Comment